Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 19, 2020 7:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ebony Finish
PostPosted: Sep Tue 16, 2003 6:26 pm 

<BR>I need some advice on doing a new Ebony finish on two cabinets. I have a Magnavox console that is not in to bad shape and a Hammond organ spinet console and speaker that are in bad shape. The wook is good in both examples. <P>These ebony finishes do not look as if they are like what I might expect to get with the modern poly paints. I do not think they probably had such a "liquid" or "wet" look like the new poly and or urothane finishes would give.<P>I also suspect the material they used would have been sprayed?<P>Anyway I do need some advice. The Hammond cabinet needs to be totally stripped and since it is the worse I want to start on it first.<P>Any comments?? Thanks, Tim

PostPosted: Sep Tue 16, 2003 9:57 pm 

Hello<BR>Lacquer over paint does not look right to me.<BR>What does is to apply black paint (cellulose) and then a few coats of black toner, followed by lacquer.<BR>The toner gives a nice depth to the finsih that you don't get with just the paint.<BR>Gary<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Wed 17, 2003 7:28 am 

Tim<P>You can get a nice gloss black lacquer from Ace hardware, among other places. It stinks to high heaven, but it works. Comes in flat too. Nice stuff if you want something to dry quickly.<P>Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Wed 17, 2003 9:49 am 

Regardless of which product you use, the magic is in the rubbing out. Thats true for any finish - paint, lacquer, whatever. You can't just spray it on and not have it look like...well...you just sprayed it on.<P>-Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Wed 17, 2003 10:50 pm 

OK, so I see that the opinion is to use black lacquer and the finish will be mostly determined in the rub out of the finish. I have used laquer on cars and know the final results are in the polishing.<P>I presume that was the way it was done at the factory,,, labor intensive by today's standards.<P>There are a few laquers that are advertised to be applied by brush but have sufficent run out to not show brush strokes. I don't think I will try these. I suppose I will spray.<P>I have not used this technique on wood before but I guess it is same/similar.<P>Sure is pretty if you like that kinda thing. The Magnavox is a console and is an AM/SW with record player. It is built very nicely with P-P 6l6"s and dual 12" electromagnetic speakers. Lots of good sounding volume. Not really a collectable but sure goes well with my other gadgets.<P>The Hammond organ is a new collectable thing with me. I now have three Hammonds of which two are the home spinet M3 and one is the original "A" model built in 1935. One of the M3's from the factory was the ebony finish. The others are stained.<P>Thanks to all for the comments.<P>tim<P>------------------<BR>