Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 19, 2020 9:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: label removal
PostPosted: Sep Thu 25, 2003 10:00 pm 

I just bought an arvin 580tfm (junker) to use for parts to fix my radio. the junkers cabinet has the label on the bottom in good condition. Can anyone suggest a way of removing the label with minimum damage, so I can use it on my set.<P>Brian<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Fri 26, 2003 3:36 am 

you might try steam, like when you steam open envelopes<P>------------------<BR>Walters

PostPosted: Sep Fri 26, 2003 5:04 am 

Try a hair dryer to soften the glue and slowly, and I mean slowly, lift the label off.<P>------------------<BR>Jim

PostPosted: Sep Fri 26, 2003 6:24 am 

Take a very good picture of it first with a good digital camera. Then you will have something to use in case it tears.<P>------------------<BR>Scott Kennedy

PostPosted: Sep Fri 26, 2003 6:33 am 

Those are all good ideas! I'll give them a try.<P>Brian<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Fri 26, 2003 6:19 pm 

I used Nail Polish Remover (with Acetone) to remove labels before refinishing.<P>Jusk soak the label and let it work for a couple of minute. Then carefully slide the label off the cabinet.<P>Dry between two layers of paper towel with some weight on it.<P> Eric<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Fri 26, 2003 6:56 pm 

A cautionary note to the post of using acetone to remove the label. Use acetone only on sets known to have a bakelite, plaskon, or catalin cabinets, NOT on the later styrene fifties sets as the acetone will react with the plastic and may melt or mar it severely in the process of removing the label. I work with chemicals containing acetone and ketone and they love to eat styrene and there is no known repair aside from LOTS of sanding and cussing afterwards. FYI I would try the steam method but be careful again on styrene sets from the heat factor which could melt or deform the plastic. I agree with taking a digital pic of the label before any attempt at removal in case of disaster occurrence in the process.<P>------------------<BR>DecotronixDan