Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 30, 2020 7:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Laminate problems
PostPosted: Sep Sun 28, 2003 9:21 pm 

I am restoring a 1931 philco 70L lowboy. The finish is in fair shape except for some of the laminate that is loose on one one side. The piece is about 10 inches wide by 36 inches high. About 2/3rds of it is loose and warped (but still pliable) from the bottom up.<P>Any ideas on how to save it?<P>------------------<BR>Thanks - <BR>JohnS..

Post subject: Laminate problems
PostPosted: Sep Tue 30, 2003 5:00 am 

John,<BR>Sorry I dont have time to go over all of the differet methods, but there is a wealth of previous posts on what glue to use, difference between glues ect. Check out the search feature on this site(of course), the rec antique radio newsgroup, fine woodworkers newsgroup, I found alot of info searching the guitar group(posts on lacquer shading) and of course a general google search. Theres more info than you ever wanted. If you have never done woodworking before please practice on some scrap wood, repairing veneer and reglueing takes some practice. Unless there is big chuncks of veneer missing by all means save the old veneer - you can never get new stuff to match exactly the old grain, a few little chips and nicks are far better than just sticking new veneer on it to look "nice", its an antique after all. One trick - after you do start to glue, put a layer of wax paper between the wood and the clamps. What ever you decide after researching in the archives, take your time. <P>------------------<BR>