Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 19, 2020 9:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: "Watco" Brand Lacquer Questions
PostPosted: Sep Tue 30, 2003 7:35 am 

<BR> Recently intro'd by a local supplier.<BR> Spray cans, quarts and gallons.<BR> How does it "stack up" to other brands?<P> I figure it easier (less expensive too,) asking for opinions/ findings before buying.<P> Thanks,<BR> Den<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Tue 30, 2003 7:58 am 

Havent tried that brand, I've been using WM Campbell Magnalac for the past few years, works very well, sands easy, no problems... <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Thu 02, 2003 10:32 pm 

I've been using the watco brand . For me it works great I use the Gloss and I like the hardness i'm getting after it cures out. I use fish eye additive and thin on a 5 to 1 ratio and I'm getting good flow out. It rubs out real good and has that deep luster I like. I've been using it over Trinity Coating Company's "Spiced Walnut" Lacquer stain and it works great . I get the Watco from Sutherlands and the Spiced Walnut at Kelly Moore paints. The stain dries fast so do small areas at a time and you can use it in the Watco lacquer as a tinting agent . You can shoot over it with the Watco in 30 minutes.<P>Dennis<P><BR> <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Fri 03, 2003 6:30 am 

Thanks, Dennis<BR> I'll try some, based on that reply.<BR> -I sure wish someone local carried that "lacquer stain" you mentioned.<BR> Seems interesting.<BR> <BR> I've also seen the guys at the local cabinet shop using the Magnalac catylized lacquer.<BR> I just may 'beg' a cup of it to try out too.<P> Den<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Fri 03, 2003 7:29 am 

Hi Den,<BR>I am lucky enough to have a paint/decorating store down the street that stocks magnalac for their professional accounts. A gallon is the same price as buying Deft in quarts at the homecenter. From what I can gather its pretty much the standard for most custom cabinet shops today. Its a joy to use. Please give us a report on how the Watco brand works. I've been working most of the summer on two rough consoles, Rca 9k3 and a Philco 116x. I will post pics in a couple of weeks.<BR>Take care,<BR>Jerry.<P>------------------<BR>