Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 21, 2020 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pulled a bone-headed move....
PostPosted: Sep Tue 30, 2003 8:42 pm 

....as my father would have said. In repainting/refinishing some cabinets this summer I thought I would protect the existing paper lables with blue painter's tape. You guessed it: The tape and label are now tightly adheared to each other - removing the tape is also separating the upper layer of the paper from the bottom layer glued to the cabinet. Would a solvent like Goo Gone work to loosen the tape's grip on my labels without harming the label? Suggestions for something better to try? I'll go back to the corner now........<P>------------------<BR>Vinton Roush<BR>Fairfield, OH

PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 2:46 am 

You might try gently heating the tape with a hair dryer to see if that softens the adhesive. Just a guess on my part, try it if all else fails.<P>Pete<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 5:30 am 

Thanks for the help. I'll look into Bestine (or some equivalent).<P>------------------<BR>Vinton Roush<BR>Fairfield, OH

PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 6:30 am 

Something that I have used to remove glue, tape and obstinate price stickers, is Naptha gas. This is the stuff that you use in camping stoves. I found this out once while watching a fellow put new grips on a set of golf clubs. You wrap the shaft in 2 sided tape, thoroughly douse with Naptha(this neutralizes the glue)slip on new grip, positon and when Naptha evaporates glue resets. Be warned though it is very flammable. <P>------------------<BR>