Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 21, 2020 12:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Black high-lites
PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 4:02 am 

I have a wood Silvertone table top with black high-lites on the thinner vertical surfaces and surrounding the opening enclosing the dial glass. How do I duplicate this black color? Is black liquid shoe polish on the bare wood covered by a light coating of shellac a possibility?<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 4:21 am 

Would black spray lacquer work? It is available at some hardware stores. Our local Ace Hardware has or had it. I'd recommend blue masking tape for protection of the adjoining areas.<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 4:52 am 

It might be technically easier for me to "draw it on" with a shoe polish applicator. I will look for some black spray lacquer however. Thanks<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 5:32 am 

I have been using ebony stain by Minwax painted on with a foam brush.<P>------------------<BR>Vinton Roush<BR>Fairfield, OH

PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 5:53 am 

That's a good idea, and eliminates problems with whatever is in liquid shoe polish.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 01, 2003 6:08 am 

AES has black lacquer sticks. A little messy, but it works well and its easy to clean up boo boos until its dry or set.<P>Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Thu 02, 2003 6:03 am 

Hagstar wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by voroush:<BR><B>I have been using ebony stain by Minwax painted on with a foam brush.<BR></B><HR>
<P>If the set is stripped this works well. Also good is some black Universal Tinting Color added to Dark Walnut Minwax. You brush on a medium coat and don't wipe it except VERY gently after it's almost dry anyway to even it and remove the gross excess. The apply a few coats of dark toner and you're set. If you don't toner it you'll need to not wipe the Minwax at all, but your coat had best be even.<P>John H.<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Fri 03, 2003 7:52 pm 

Alan,<P>Whwer do you buy green masking tape? Home improvement store? Auto paint supply?<P>Mike<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Mon 06, 2003 7:58 am 

<BR> Alan,<P> I'm a big fan of 3M painting products, but I bought a roll of their green lacquer tape.. once.<BR> That tape had a _very_ aggressive adhesive.<BR> So much, I was in real fear of pulling up wood fibers upon removal. Wasn't on long.)<BR> <BR> -Also difficulty getting it off the roll.<BR> Kept tearing itself, like cheap dollar store tape.<P> Was that just a one-time experience I had?<BR> Bad roll maybe?<BR> I used up that roll tagging spare transformer leads, fearing to try it on another finish job again.<BR> I went back to using the blue.<BR> (-With which I don't recall a problem with..yet.)<P> Den<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Mon 06, 2003 8:33 am 

Den,<BR>I used a roll of Green ONCE and experienced the same thing.<BR>-Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 08, 2003 7:47 pm 

I've begun to experiment with staining. Ebony stain was not dark enough. I then tried black liquid shoe polish. This didnt seem to stick to the wood, though the wood had ebony stain on it. I then got the "bright" idea to try a black magic marker. This worked very well. However, the color was dull. I then layered the glossy liquid shoe polish over the marker. It gave a rather deep black finish. Tomorrow I will see what a light coating of shellac does. Hope the shoe polish doesnt run.<P>------------------<BR>