Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 19, 2020 7:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Deluxing Compound
PostPosted: Oct Tue 07, 2003 2:52 am 

Reading Adam’s post (http://antiqueradios.com/forums/Forum15 ... 00141.html) got me thinking about using deluxing compound to revitalize a dull, but intact finish. How many of you have used deluxing compound and what were the results?<P>Regards,<BR>Geoff<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 08, 2003 12:49 am 

Well Geoff,<P>It looks like you and I are the only ones that know of this, more compound for us, I say.<P>I am glad I discovered this compound, it does make an dull intact finish shine like brand new. It's great stuff!<P>Adam <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 08, 2003 3:08 am 

I haven’t tried using it yet. The literature states that it “produces a smooth, hard mirror like finish”. The only reason I haven’t tried it is that I don’t think that a lot of these radios had a mirror like finish to begin with. I once cleaned an Atwater Kent 856 tombstone (that had a dull, intact finish) with mineral spirits, then applied Danish oil, wiped it off, let it dry, then applied 3 coats of paste wax. I was stunned at how nice it came out. Not too shiny, just a nice warm even finish. Cleaning a dull finish this way was time consuming and required a lot of steps. I’d still like to try the deluxing compound but would like to hear more about from others that have used it first. If it really produces a mirror like finish I probably would not use it on every radio I own, just ones that probably had that type of finish to begin with.<P>But thanks for the tip Adam.<P>Regards,<BR>Geoff<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Oct Wed 08, 2003 6:10 am 

Rubbing compound? Sounds like rottenstone.<P>------------------<BR>