Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 24, 2019 1:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gigatronics (Fluke) 6080A signal generator service manual
PostPosted: May Wed 08, 2019 6:59 pm 

I am in need of this manual. I have bought one of these generators off of the dreaded auction site and it is on its way here. I have found the operators manual online and downloaded it. I have also found and downloaded service manuals for the 6082A and also the FLUKE 6080A/AN. These are not exactly the same. Those manuals are available nearly everywhere. The Gigatronics and the Fluke 6080A are probably the same instrument. They cover 10KHz to 1056MHz. The Fluke 6080A/AN is 500KHz to 1024MHz, and I'm sure it must be made a little different. The 6082A goes to over 2GHZ so it has a doubler in it. But I don't know if the rest of it is the same or not. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by joelandjoyce on May Wed 15, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gigatronics 6080A signal generator service manual
PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 3:40 pm 

Nothing? This very model has been discussed here before. I must have Halitosis.

Post subject: Re: Gigatronics 6080A signal generator service manual
PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 2:08 am 

So this arrived today while I was away. It came via UPS. It was packed very well and was not obviously damaged. It is a very clean unit both inside and out. The front panel looks nearly perfect. All the writing is still on all the buttons. After giving it the once over, I plugged it up and tested it out. It booted up and displayed everything it should. However there was no RF output at all, and the "status" display was blinking. Pressing the status button showed error code 241. I opened up the unit and poked around in it. After removing the top cover, the top half of the unit hinges up and has a hydraulic arm like on the hood of a car to hold it up! I found the relay driver board for the attenuator and looked at the ribbon cable that plugged into it. Just touching the connector made it fall off! I reconnected this and now I have RF output. The eBay ad stated that the RF output was always 20dB lower than the display says. I first connected it to my scope to see the output waveform and its frequency. The waveform looked good on lower output levels, but from about -30dB or so up to full output the waveform becomes distorted, especially so at full output of 20dB. It is not a sine wave at this point. The frequency however seems to be accurate at any frequency in its range. On the spectrum analyzer, strong harmonics show up at these higher output levels. The harmonics seem to totally disappear at lower output levels down to the noise floor of the spectrum analyzer. I suspect either a stage of amplification is dead or one of the attenuator circuits is burned out and the processor is trying to compensate for it and overloading the output amplifiers. So, I really need to at least know if the 6082a schematics would be close enough to go by. Preferably someone will have or know where to get the proper service manual for this.

Post subject: Re: Gigatronics (Fluke) 6080A signal generator service manua
PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 12:53 am 

Joel,

I did a quick search and confirmed what you already stated about the scarcity of the 6080A service info. I did see that Artek has a CD of the Fluke 6080A Operator & Service manuals on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/371953177777?chn=ps

Fifteen bucks, but it might be worth it. As to that halitosis ... :D

Jim

Post subject: Re: Gigatronics (Fluke) 6080A signal generator service manua
PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 2:31 am 

Thanks Jim.
I'll probably end up having to order one of those. My next step is checking out the power supply closely before jumping to any other conclusions. I still wonder if the only difference between the 6080a and the 6082a is the frequency doubler and the programming to enable it.