Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 16, 2021 2:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NRC / Varian 836 ion gauge controller manual?
PostPosted: May Tue 18, 2021 5:59 am 

I'm not sure whether this is exactly the correct forum for this topic, as it is not directly related to radio test equipment. However, it is related to gauge equipment that would be associated with vacuum tube making. So, here goes nothing. [Moderator: Please move this if you see fit.]
About 48 years ago I first encountered high vacuum systems in the physics department of the college I attended. The department had several systems, all made by NRC, with Welch 1402 oil roughing pumps backing diffusion pumps. The thermocouple and ionization gauge controllers on these systems were type NRC 836. I spent many fascinating hours (burning the midnight oil) working on those systems. Moving forward in time to the present, about a month ago I found a nice-looking NRC 836 available surplus, and I bought it for nostalgia sake. (NRC later was acquired by Varian.) There were no cables and no documentation with it. My goal was to install and use it on a small high-vacuum system (turbo-pumped) I have in my workshop. The NRC 836 circuitry is totally analog but there's nothing wrong with that. I opened it up and figured out the connections, made a new cable to connect to the ion gauge tube, hooked everything up, pumped down my system and tried it ... and it works! However, some of the decade ranges do not track well. I need documentation, and I have scoured the internet to no avail. Does anyone reading this, who used to use these systems back in the day, happen to have a manual for an NRC/Varian 836 squirreled away in a file cabinet? Thank you for looking.
R/ John

Attachments:
NRC 836 front panel.PNG
NRC 836 front panel.PNG [ 401.35 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

Post subject: Re: NRC / Varian 836 ion gauge controller manual?
PostPosted: May Tue 18, 2021 1:17 pm 

If you don't get any responses you might have better luck on the eevblog. There are a fair number of members with high vacuum systems over there (along with mass specs and electron microscopes).

It's been ages since I've worked with tc gauges but I don't recall them being all that complicated. It's hard to troubleshoot without a schematic, particularly if the misbehavior is less than glaring, but it is possible.