Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 25, 2021 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Triplett 850 Differences
PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 3:13 am 

I understand there are different types of Triplett 850 meters.
A type 1, 2, and 3. Maybe more for all I know.
How do you tell the difference so can get the right manual and schematic?

Post subject: Re: Triplett 850 Differences
PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 5:08 am 

I did the screen capture quick but generally the model number is on the meter face.

Attachment:
triplett-meter-model.jpg
triplett-meter-model.jpg [ 283.14 KiB | Viewed 111 times ]

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 6:02 am 

Thanks for the reply. It seems easy enough.
My wife bought me this thing for my birthday so I was trying to prepare.
No type number on this 850 though.
I don't know the serial number as it hasn't arrived yet.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 9:18 am 

My guess would be that if there is no number, it's type 1. They probably would not have known there was going to be a 2 and 3 down the road ;-)

just a guess though. I didn't research it.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 1:47 pm 

The serial number stamped on the lower left of the meter scale will help you determine the production run the unit was manufactured under. Once you know that you will be better able to focus your efforts to obtain the correct schematic.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 2:39 pm 

I also have a 850 with no number on the scale defining the type.

As far as serial numbers go, I couldn't find one anywhere...there are some ink-stamped numbers on the back of the panel meter plastic (seen only from the inside), but this doesn't strike me as a logical place for a serial number...

Steve

PostPosted: Jul Fri 23, 2021 5:18 pm 

Just a few things I've noticed about Triplett 630 series and 850's. Only certain (usually older) production runs came with either stamped (actually engraved with pressure) or ink/hand-written serial numbers; but as we know (based on an email discussion with Mike Hahn ~2002), the original serial numbers factory notebooks were lost (nobody's quite sure why or how; possibly storm/water roof leakages & mildew growth of the notebooks), so you need to correlate those numbers to other units to "interpolate" production runs and date of production.

Triplett Type numbers are sometimes not as straight forward as we'd like. Two examples I know of from my own collection.

My model 630-L does not indicate Type 2 anywhere on its scale or on the top of the case; but I know it's a Type 2, based on its components/resistor-values and Ohms scale layout. Some early production Type 2's labeled the Type 2 only with a factory adhesive sticker placed on the top of the case, just behind the clear/lucite window, but those stickers can come off over time. All of my 850's have the older/traditional labeling "Electronic Volt-Ohmmeter", which is also the label used in their catalogs and manuals. But I've seen a few very late production 850's (only on Ebay) that read on their scales "VTVM" or in some cases "Vacuum Tube Volt Meter", but without any printed Type number. I and others have what exists of the original factory archives, from the old filing cabinets; but there's little mention of how they (engineering & marketing) assigned Type numbers or what exactly determined Type number changes, or if Type number changes were always made between production runs, or possibly sometimes in the middle of a production run (which we've seen evidence of in a few cases). Type number designations are also interesting with model 801 (lab-grade Solid-state tester); where a small/ditto (which fade with age..) addendum page indicated that Type 2 was the change from Hg/Mercury over to Carbon-zinc (or Alkaline) batteries, along with a couple required resistor value changes; but there were many 801's made that use the newer batteries which were not labeled Type 2, at least in the first 1 or 2 production runs of the Type 2. As Alan Douglas and others had taught us here on ARF, often the factory manuals and printed circuit drawings lag far behind the actual fact of what's found in some testers; definitely the case with Triplett. When these testers were still on warranty, the company didn't much care if the included manual or labeling was up to date; since they replaced or repaired any problems at no charge to the owner. DrWorry mentioned the ink-stamped numbers found on the backs of meter cases; those numbers, in most cases are not serial numbers; they are factory run production numbers; but those notebooks are also long gone.