Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 3:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Aug Fri 20, 2010 7:43 am 

Heres one way:
http://electronics-diy.com/electronic_fuse.php

Post subject: Re: Variable current limiting fuse replacement device
PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2019 9:16 am 

I have found an article from BrightHub Engineering for just what you guys have been discussing. I'm trying to figure out how to do this myself. I'm specifically interested in a device that would allow me to dial in a trip point, and then plug in the DUT. If there is a short or overcurrent, then the device could be reset and you could try again.

Here's the web page if anyone is interested ...
https://www.brighthubengineering.com/di ... t-breaker/

Obviously this article doesn't have all the bells and whistles that I would like, but I don't see why I couldn't replace R1 (the trip point "setter") with a big wirewound rheostat. What do you guys think? Doing the same for a DC circuit would involve a slightly different approach, sort of a "build your own" overcurrent sensing circuit.
Mike Harmon, WB0LDJ

PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2019 1:17 pm 

I'll stick with what I wrote in 2010. The best substitute for a fuse is another fuse. Like everything else that looks really simple, there's a lot of subtle detail to fusing. Designing an electronic circuit that will respond the same way as a fuse, and be adaptable to every situation is not a simple thing to do. The catalogs are full of thousands of different fuse types for a reason.

Consider the waveform passing through your "fuse." What is the peak current? The average current? How long do you want it to go before it trips (fast blow vs. slow blow)? How much voltage and current will you be interrupting if the fuse trips? How much fuse resistance can you afford to insert into the circuit? Is the load resistive, reactive, or somewhere inbetween? How will you power it while maintaining scrupulous isolation from the AC line or anything else? Your electronic circuit would have to take all of that into account, and yet prove reliable and adjustable at any supply voltage.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2019 1:47 pm 

You could clip in an old style TV type circuit breaker. Be aware though, they are not "instant" in the same way a fuse is, and something could smoke while the breaker is busy reaching it's trip point. But if something smokes, at least you have a clue what WAS wrong lol. The one shown is a newer type.... vintage ones can be had for pennies, or a whole assortment for a few bux.

Attachment:
circuit breaker.docx [25.71 KiB]
Downloaded 6 times

PostPosted: Feb Tue 12, 2019 3:51 pm 

If I were building one of these, I'd use a current transformer, a relay and something like an arduino to provide the UI and smarts on when to trip the relay.

If you google "arduino circuit breaker" you'll find tons of hits. Some of them might even be useful :D