Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 19, 2021 4:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hickok 580A tube tester information needed.
PostPosted: Jan Fri 16, 2004 2:47 pm 

A friend just gave me a Hickok 580A and told me that it worked. I took it home and tried it out and blew the 81 bulb. Having no manual I looked for information on the net but found little on this tester. I did read that the type 81 should not light in use but this one does without a tube being tested. If I adjust the pot for the line test it glows. Also found that the 49 bulb (bias) is also toast. Where should I start to repair this tester or is it even worth the effort? What is a good source for getting operation information for this tester without paying a arm and leg for it?<P>Thanks,<P>David<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Fri 16, 2004 9:29 pm 

"Pop"<P>Uh, oh.<P>Here worms, niiize little worms, back in the can....<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Fri 16, 2004 9:33 pm 

Okay, the 580A is a fabulous tester, if you can get it to work.<P>The lighted lamp is probably normal; some do and some don't. But it shouldn't be brightly lit, only barely glowing. Mine does and I don't know why. Chris has repaired a couple of them that didn't. I've been trying to make mine behave for several years, so far without success.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sat 17, 2004 3:09 am 

My 580 Hickok also lights the #81 bulb a bit. A well known Hickok repair man of Old recommened placing a 5 watt 120v bulb in series. This does work but may defeat the purpose of the bulb? <P>Paul<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sat 17, 2004 4:15 am 

Thanks guys. My bulb is fairly bright but but not white light bright. If I move just a little from the center line on the meter during the line test the bulb dims a lot. Do you get a reading from just pushing the Gm lock button? I'm not sure how to use this tester and when I press the Gm lock I only get a little meter movement. I don't see any test push button like on my other testers.<P>David<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sat 17, 2004 7:08 am 

Sounds just like mine. I tested a number of 81 lamps and selected the one that took the highest current. Yes, the Gm Lock is the test button.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sat 17, 2004 11:24 am 

Alan I ordered some type 49 bulbs from Radio Daze and will see how this tester works once I receive them. It just might work with a good bias bulb. If I need to repair it I may just ebay the thing and buy a TV7. Last 580A to sell on ebay went for 500+ which will buy a nice working tester and a few beers also.<P>David<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sat 17, 2004 4:17 pm 

The 81's seem to blow in 580's because the inrush current to those three big transformers is so great. A couple of operational tips might help. When you plug the unit in, make sure it is turned off and that you have the line adjust set fully counter clockwise. Then turn the unit on and slowly adjust the line upward. If you turn the unit on and off with the line adjust set--the fuse may blow. Can do more to correct this--but it is lots of work. One option is to add another lamp in parallel with the 81 (can use a 63). Also--the line adjust pots on these run VERY hot--so do NOT leave them on unattended.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sat 17, 2004 6:02 pm 

I operate my 600A from a variac set at 110V. I found that 123V from my shop outlets results in the line adj pot running hot to<BR>the touch. At 110V the pot is just warm, this make me feel better about leaving the tester running for hours while testing a pile of tubes. <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Sat 17, 2004 10:17 pm 

Thanks to all. I was thinking that the AC voltages in the home have increased since the mid sixties and that if I used a variac with the tester that may reduce help. The amount of adjustment is very small to go from a dull glow to a almost fully on bulb. Setting the AC at 115 vise 123 may do the trick. Will try it out tonight. Is it correct to say that the tester is not functional with a blown type 49 bulb?<P>David<P><BR>Dav<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Mon 19, 2004 12:48 pm 

Don't know about Hickoks,but he line adjust on every one of four emission testers I have owned and used runs hot;certainly hot enough to give somebody a nasty burn if you touch the housing for more than a second or so.Always thought that was normal.<BR>Malcolm<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jan Thu 22, 2004 2:31 pm 

I installed a 49 tube for the bias circuit and the tester appears to be working, but...<BR>The needle looks like it's vibrating rapidly but only a very small deflection which makes the needle look like a blur, any ideas?<P>Which scale do I read per range setting on this tester?<P>Do I set the tester to the line voltage with each tube or do I set it up with no tube in the tester?<P>Thanks,<P>David N3UX<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Feb Sat 21, 2004 10:04 am 

If you should decide to have this one checked over professionally, I can do so - info on request. K & B<P>------------------<BR>