Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 19, 2021 4:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CAP TESTER
PostPosted: Mar Wed 03, 2004 6:42 am 

Sencore still makes a very sophisticated capacitor tester (the LC103)that will measure leakage, capacity, ESR, and DA. This tester will also measure inductance. You might not like the price--close to 2K. I purchased a used Sencore LC-102(the previous model) and sent it to the factory for calibration and testing. This was somewhat cheaper--but still quite expensive. For old radio work, you probably would not need anything as fancy as the Sencore--but then you may have other uses in mind. Actually the caps in most old radios are going to be almost universally bad--so testing them is more of a research project than anything else.<P>The Sprague TO6 is another model that is very good--I use that one too. It's an older tube based unit that will need to be restored before use. The Sprague is nice because you can test low voltage modern components, and it also measures leakage on a meter--the best way.<P>Then there are the more basic Heath and Eico cap testers--which you sound like you have perhaps already tried.<P>If you just want to measure capacitance-- many digital multimeters will do the job--but they won't test a cap for leakage. If you are working on modern gear--many folks like ESR meters--which are generally used to find dried out electrolytic caps.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Fri 05, 2004 7:05 am 

tubesrgood wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EDMOND:<BR><B>DOES ANYONE SELL NEW CAP TESTERS I HAVE HAD BIG PROBLEMS BUYING USED EQUIP OFF EBAY THANKS</B><HR>
<P>Anything you buy from ebay(with damn few exceptions)is a work-in-progress...***not*** a finished,ready to use<BR>unit.It needs to be cleaned,lubed,adjusted,calibrated,have its caps replaced(except maybe mica or ceramic types)and then(with a little luck)it will work well.<BR>We do not buy "test instruments" from eBay;we DO buy:<BR> "Someday,after lots of work this thing will eventually become(I hope!) a test instrument"......from eBay.<BR>Most eBay sellers are junk dealers,a few are qualified test gear restoration people...but these are rare birds,indeed.<BR>Out of about thirty instruments I bought from them,,not one....really,.....not *one* was working properly or fully nor were any of them actually(in either performance or appearance) truly as described by the seller in the ad.<BR>Malcolm<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Fri 05, 2004 9:19 am 

MCM Electronics sells a variety of lower-cost digital multimeters that include capacitance ranges. I paid under $50 for my LCR meter. Doesn't do ESR but handles everything else nicely.<P>-Ed<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Sun 07, 2004 5:54 am 

Problem is,these won't test a cap at working voltage for leakage,and the accuracy of the cap value reading they give is partly dependent on whether the capacitor is a leaker.<BR>You really need to test for leakage with the full rated working voltage applied,so these cap value testers are of limited value.<BR>Malcolm<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Mar Tue 09, 2004 2:36 am 

Edmond<P>You may want to post an ad in the classifieds for a cap tester. Someone on the forum may have what you are looking for.<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>Intelligence is the ability to use your knowledge