Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 19, 2021 3:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Superior TV-11
PostPosted: Jul Thu 08, 2004 11:48 pm 

Hi Everyone –<P>I have a Superior TV-11 tube checker. The needle doesn’t even twitch on REG (which is “quality”) on any tube. “Line Adjust” and “Short” work OK.<P>I have cleaned all switches, tube sockets and pots. Recapped (both caps). Values of all resistors are OK.<P>Anyone have any ideas? There’s not much left!<P>There is an up-side down schematic in the Test Equipment Photo Gallery.<P>Thank you<BR>Vicky<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2004 1:25 am 

You might check the meter movement itself,but only with the ohmmeter function of a digital voltmeter or(lacking one of those)a VTVM or VOM that contains a **low** internal battery supply voltage(preferably not above 1.5 volts)on the *particular*ohms scale you are using.<BR>You should(to be safe) use a resistor in series with the ohmmeter while taking your reading.A one kilohm resistor might do,but for maximum safety against meter burn out,you could start with a higher resistance and work downward if such a lower resistance becomes necessary in order to budge the TV-11 needle.<BR>This resistor prevents excess current flow and possible damage to the TV-11 meter itself.Exact value needed to provide this protection depends on the current rating of the TV-11 meter.<BR>If good, the TV-11 meter will show continuity and its needle should move.<P>By the way...is the little rectifier diode ok?<BR>Malcolm<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2004 1:38 am 

Hi Malcolm -<P>Yes - both the rectifier and the meter are OK as Line Adjust Works fine.<P>Thank you.<P>Vicky<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2004 5:33 am 

Assuming it's a generic emission circuit like the Heath TC series, I think you could make an ohmmeter check with the tester turned off, from the tube socket, looking for continuity back through the switches, meter/shunt, and transformer windings. Something has to be open somewhere.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2004 9:04 am 

tubesrgood wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vdiz:<BR><B>Hi Malcolm -<P>Yes - both the rectifier and the meter are OK as Line Adjust Works fine.<P>Thank you.<P>Vicky,<BR>Oops~I failed to notice you had said the meter did work on line adjust.Gotta get more sleep!<BR>Malcolm<P></B><HR>
<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2004 10:35 am 

Vicky<P>Send me an email, I have some repair notes on these testers and schematics of the circuits broken down.<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>Intelligence is the ability to use your knowledge

PostPosted: Jul Fri 09, 2004 3:50 pm 

vdiz wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan Douglas:<BR><B>Assuming it's a generic emission circuit like the Heath TC series, I think you could make an ohmmeter check with the tester turned off, from the tube socket, looking for continuity back through the switches, meter/shunt, and transformer windings. Something has to be open somewhere.<P></B><HR>
<P>Alan - Good idea - I'll try it later today and let you know.<P>Thanks a lot.<BR>Vicky<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Thu 15, 2004 6:52 am 

Radiodon,<BR>Dave Haggard (easyrider8)has a lot of tube tester knowledge and repair experience.<BR>If,for any reason,you are not able to contact him,let me know and I can scan the schematic and send it.<BR>However....down through the years changes were made to the circuitry so my schematic may be a little different from your actual tester.<BR>*Dont* attempt to use it,please until we know what's up with your loose capacitor,etc.<BR>We don't want to mess up that power transformer!<BR>Malcolm<P><BR>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Thu 15, 2004 7:44 am 

I have available hard copy (first generation of original) of manual for this tube tester. Manual includes settings instructions, service notes, parts list, and clear schematic. Contact me directly if interested or if you want additional information. BOB <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Jul Thu 15, 2004 8:47 am 

Radio Don<P>Send me an email and I will send you the manual by email<P>Dave<P>------------------<BR>Intelligence is the ability to use your knowledge