Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Thu 21, 2019 8:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Weller WES51 iron dies
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 7:37 pm 

In less than a year of use, my Weller WES51 has died (no heat, no light on base, zero power draw). Almost a relief - the tips never took solder well, the knurled base of the element kept coming out of the handle. Fortunately the WP-25 iron I bought for $6.95 around 1980 still works fine, though I had to repair the cord once. But I would like to get this fixed - who has torn into one of these? Of course no service info with it...

I bought it as new on eBay, may not be able to get it repaired under warranty.

Post subject: Re: Weller WES51 iron dies
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 7:54 pm 

Tom Bavis wrote:
In less than a year of use, my Weller WES51 has died (no heat, no light on base, zero power draw). Almost a relief - the tips never took solder well, the knurled base of the element kept coming out of the handle. Fortunately the WP-25 iron I bought for $6.95 around 1980 still works fine, though I had to repair the cord once. But I would like to get this fixed - who has torn into one of these? Of course no service info with it...

I bought it as new on eBay, may not be able to get it repaired under warranty.

First place I looked....

https://archive.org/details/generalmanu ... n5?q=WES51

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 8:51 pm 

Tom, at the risk of sounding like a jerk, I had the same issue. I bought one years ago and it lasted about 8 years. When it died, I bought a brand new one. It lasted about one year. I said, that I was not going to pay another $100 for a third one. I tossed all of it into the bin and got a HAKKO 888. Been very happy.

What really irritated me was that I had bought all kinds of tips for the Weller. I should find them and put them in the Classified Section here. Of course, I had to buy new tips for the Hakko. They are not the same.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 9:12 pm 

Don Cavey wrote:
Tom, at the risk of sounding like a jerk, I had the same issue. I bought one years ago and it lasted about 8 years. When it died, I bought a brand new one. It lasted about one year. I said, that I was not going to pay another $100 for a third one. I tossed all of it into the bin and got a HAKKO 888. Been very happy.

What really irritated me was that I had bought all kinds of tips for the Weller. I should find them and put them in the Classified Section here. Of course, I had to buy new tips for the Hakko. They are not the same.

Or, replace the 4A fuse on the board inside - should be a Buss MCR4 axial fuse. Common "from cold" turn-on problem. Cold resistance of the heating element =or= bad element (with a short or leakage to the barrel) will blow that fuse. I've seen ones with a circuit breaker wired in and exiting the back of the base unit - a hack.

There is also a 7805 regulator feeding the chips inside that fails.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 9:41 pm 

Mine got intermittent. I tried several things and then got very, very frustrated. Unfortunately, when it worked it was a great station. But I was not going to put out another $100. I cut my losses.

Now I have NEVER had a Weller gun go bad. I have over a dozen of them!

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 10:12 pm 

Hard to be sure about resistance tests when the connector pins aren't numbered. At least two have continuity to the shell, which doesn't seem right.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 10:44 pm 

You have a heater and a sensor (thermistor) in the shell of the element. IIRC, neither should contact the shell, which is grounded to comply with ESD requirements.

Chopped off, but the instructions for the replacement heater element:

https://http2.mlstatic.com/elemento-ter ... 017-F.webp

PostPosted: Feb Sun 17, 2019 1:40 am 

I have seen the cord to the iron get intermittent in heavily used stations. Heats up and then mysteriously goes cold then comes back to life. The rubber cord on one of my Wellers is chipping and maybe falling apart. I cannot tell if it is deterioration or if the cats have been chewing on it. In daily commercial use I have not seen any of the brands mentioned last forever with no breakdowns, eventually.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 28, 2019 7:42 pm 

EAE Sales has refurbished EDSYN 951SX analog temperature controlled soldering stations for $120 and new ones for $162. They are very reliable, still made in the USA, and have a huge selection of tips available. EDSYN has been competing with Weller in factories for over 40 years. We had 400 of them in a factory that I was at and had very little issues/problems with them, even using them 16-24 hours per day, 6 and 7 days a week. I have been refurbishing them (300+) and selling new ones (120+) for over 16 years. I have been telling potential buyers that if they didn't think it was better than any Weller they had ever used, I would buy it back from them, no matter how long they had it. No one has ever taken me up on that offer in over 16 years. EAE Sales is an advertiser on the right side of this page.