Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 23, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Which Soldering Iron Should I Buy?
PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 10:27 pm 

Here's the one I found at the rummage sale, it looks like its in decent shape. Should i keep it and use it, save it for when I gain more experience, or try to sell it to raise money for my other adjustable soldering iron? Thanks! -John

Attachments:
cm200-1.jpg
cm200-1.jpg [ 308.04 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]
cm200-2.jpg
cm200-2.jpg [ 319.92 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]
cm200-3.jpg
cm200-3.jpg [ 211.67 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]
cm200-4.jpg
cm200-4.jpg [ 235.31 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]
cm200-5.jpg
cm200-5.jpg [ 286.18 KiB | Viewed 397 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 10:30 pm 

I have a few generic cheap irons that are good for portability. One of them is also my largest iron at 80 watts, good for chassis work. Otherwise, in my workshop, I use a Weller WESD51 that I have had for about three years now. I have used it heavily and as of right now, the original tips are still good. Even the cheap Chinese tips last a long time. The trick to it, at least, in my experience, is to not use a wet sponge to clean your tips. The temperature shock seems to destroy the plating, and once you're down to the copper, the tip wastes away fast. Use a fine wire brush or a tip cleaner like this: https://www.banggood.com/DANIU-1-Pcs-He ... rehouse=CN

Also, my desoldering iron is a Hakko FR300 and you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands! I can't believe I ever lived without it!

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 11:26 pm 

$30, Amazon, new with warranty and extendable. 5-60 watts
Remember heat is heat, audiophile grade doesn't apply
You really don't need to spend more, or buy used junk

https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Soldering ... Z9PQ5JXAVH

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 12:58 am 

That seems a nice soldering gun, but. I wouldn't use that acid core solder on radios. It may be good for soldering spouting or other metal stuff, but radio work needs 60/40 rosin core solder.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 12:25 pm 

That one from Amazon looks nice, and is in my budget. I might go with that one... What do you guys think about de-soldering tools? Is that also something I should invest in? Thanks again guys! -John

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 1:14 pm 

Got a Dr. friend? Ask him/her for any clamps that they don't use. I got a bunch from my father in law. They are great.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 6:04 pm 

Desoldering is best with either solder wick or an Edsyn Soldapullt DS017

https://www.eaesales.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=68

Dont accept imitations. get the real deal.
There are so many junky Chinese lookalikes.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:05 am 

+1 on the Edsyn Soldapullt DS017

If you want to get started right away go ahead and buy one of the cheaper soldering stations, but save your money for an Edsyn 951SX, you'll be glad you did. I like my Weller WES51 but like I mentioned they came out with a new model and I have no experience with it.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 4:25 am 

What about this? Definitely in my budget.. but it seems to be missing a few things..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDSYN-Model-PS537-Soldering-Station-Power-Supply-120V-60Hz-150W/132397956401?hash=item1ed3887d31:g:WYsAAOSwFyhaCfAP

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 1:07 pm 

I think that is part of an old desoldering station missing some key parts. Unless you know exactly what you're looking at and feel confident in the condition I'd stay away from the well used and abused eBay items.

Buy one of the cheaper soldering stations and an Edsyn Soldapullt DS017. One of those cheap set-ups might be all you need..... for years I got by with just an Ungar soldering pencil and a Weller soldering gun.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 3:09 pm 

Hate to admit it, but I've been using this iron for 45+ years now, with only one heater and one switch replacement.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 5:08 pm 

jstouffer1989, that EDSYN PS537 looks like it needs a compressed air or vacuum source.
Did you notice the air hose connector? A business assembly area sometimes had air or
vacuum outlets at the benches.
Also many industrial solder stations require replaceable filters and other items that can be
expensive or hard to find.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 7:21 pm 

I have done almost all of my radio work with a simple Weller 45 watt iron with a screwdriver tip. I much prefer de-soldering wick.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:57 pm 

The EDSYN 951SX that was won as a door prize at the Van Wert, OH Hamfest back in 2006, (13 years ago) was a refurbished station. It was the only year I set up at that Hamfest. I did not go back due to very poor sales.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 2:33 pm 

It is a very small hamfest, but as it is where my family is from, I go there each year.

I'm much appreciative of that station, refurbished or not :D

Thank you!
-Steve

-Pre-War FM

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 6:06 pm 

jstouffer1989, finding a soldering iron that does everything is not very realistic. I took an inventory and I have
four irons. Two of them I use regularly, two are smaller and are good for delicate work. My most used is a Weller WTCP, that has interchangeable tips of different sizes and contain special magnets that regulate the temperature, 700, 750, 800 degrees, etc. For heavier work (chassis) I have an inexpensive ECG brand J-60,
60 watt. The ECG doesn't have temperature control, sometimes I connect it through a variac to cut the wattage to half. That Sears gun you have would probably good for chassis work, you might find that it is kind of heavy and bulky to use on a long project. Some people do all the work with a gun though.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 7:11 pm 

Tool preferences are very personal, so what somebody likes may not be the best for you.

In general, buy the best quality you can afford. You just hamper yourself if you buy cheap tools that don't work well. Try to stick to well established brands, or at least clones of those. You want to be able to get replacement parts and heaters without a lot of hassle.

For many years I used an Ungar solder/desolder station, a temp controlled iron and a vac pump based desoldering tool. It was very nice but since Ungar is no more and parts are getting hard (and expensive!) to find, I ended up buying a Metcal station to replace it. Hands down, that was one of the best tools I every bought. Depending on the tip you can do anything from micro surface mount up to chassis wiring. They were widely used in industry so used units are available for more or less reasonable cost. It also has a 3-5 second warm up time which I find convenient.

I also have an assortment of solder wick and solder suckers. Sometimes one or another is more appropriate for the job at hand.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 5:49 pm 

PaulAm wrote:
It was very nice but since Ungar is no more and parts are getting hard (and expensive!) to find, I ended up buying a Metcal station to replace it. Hands down, that was one of the best tools I every bought. Depending on the tip you can do anything from micro surface mount up to chassis wiring. They were widely used in industry so used units are available for more or less reasonable cost. It also has a 3-5 second warm up time which I find convenient.

I've had several soldering tools over the years. Yes, I was able to use a Metcal station where I worked at one time, they are about the best but $$$. If I recall correctly the normal type of tips were about $ 25. You changed the temperature by using different tips also.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 2:26 am 

Get a hako, my weller went north and i got a hako for 100 bucks, its very nice and seems to work very well. Quick heating with temp read out

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 6:11 pm 

Notimetolooz wrote:
PaulAm wrote:
It was very nice but since Ungar is no more and parts are getting hard (and expensive!) to find, I ended up buying a Metcal station to replace it. Hands down, that was one of the best tools I every bought. Depending on the tip you can do anything from micro surface mount up to chassis wiring. They were widely used in industry so used units are available for more or less reasonable cost. It also has a 3-5 second warm up time which I find convenient.

I've had several soldering tools over the years. Yes, I was able to use a Metcal station where I worked at one time, they are about the best but $$$. If I recall correctly the normal type of tips were about $ 25. You changed the temperature by using different tips also.

Right on all counts. The fixed temp tips are not the disadvantage vs a varitemp iron that you might think. It's a different technology. One of the demos uses a typical iron to solder a penny to a chassis.

The used market is quite active, I think I paid $50 for a power supply and a couple bucks each for tips. The original patents have expired and Thermaltronics also makes compatible handles and heaters. With careful shopping you can get outfitted for around the price of a new Hakko.

I wouldn't trade mine, but once you get to a certain level of quality, performance is going to be more or less equivalent. I've never regretted spending money on good tools.