Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 23, 2019 12:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a tube tester to test compactron tubes
PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 10:25 pm 

Hi! Being one of the younger members of the forum I am very appreciative of all the helpful people here who have contributed and helped to get most of my equipment I use in my shop today. I'm almost 18 so in a few months I will have more time to get out and find yet more equipment and radios to work on. I recently acquired another box of over 200 tubes that someone gave to me from an estate sale. A lot of them are miniature tubes and there are also a lot of compactron TV tubes.

I have 4 tube testers including a Hickok 533. They are very nice for all of my older tubes and sets that use them but none of them can test the later compactron tubes that I have that were used in later TV sets. I plan on working on TV sets in the future that use these tubes as well as building my own circuits utilizing some of these tube types and therefore I am interested in acquiring a later tube tester that is capable of testing these tubes.

I understand that the best test for a tube is in the circuit that it's used in, but I would like to have a simple emissions type tester that will be able to give me an estimate on how strong these tubes are. Let me know if any of you have such a tester that I could get some use out of!

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

~Dylan, CT101

Post subject: Re: Looking for a tube tester to test compactron tubes
PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 11:21 pm 

You might look for a B&K 700 or 707. They need to be refurbished to make them reliable but the work isn't difficult.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 11:27 pm 

All you need is your Precision 10-12; getting an adapter such as B16 or G140 will allow you to test compactrons and more.
Bill

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:43 am 

I have a B&K 747 that will. I believe it is among the last tube testers sold.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:43 pm 

The B&K 700 and 707 only test most Compactrons for emission. Might as well get an emission tester with the sockets you need like Knight 600B or C.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 4:53 pm 

Or build an adapter and plunge headlong into figuring out how to test these with one of your current testers. You will be testing the different tubes one section at a time, so why not?

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:32 pm 

There were aftermarket adapters made by Eico and others that plug into one of the sockets of your tube tester. However figuring out the settings for various tubes can be challenging as there doesn't seem to be an all inclusive set up list. Many compactrons do have sections that are fairly similar to some previously existing miniature tubes. If you could get the schematic and manual for one of the adapters, you could probably build your own and use a tube manual to help figure out settings.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:41 pm 

Nearly all tubes have prototypes with standard configurations. You will find most triodes fit into the 12AX7 or 12AU7 or 6J6 model, for instance. Power tubes are similar to 6BQ5, etc. Diodes are like 6AL5. Pentodes like 6AU6 or 6BA6. Not very many variations, and once you compare data from the manual you will see which.

Then you use an adapter you either buy or make, with pin-fo-pin parallel connection and a plug into the tube socket, maybe also grid cap.

The only remaining job is to correct the pin numbers on the tester's chart to match the compactron.

It's a lot of busy work, fraught with opportunity for error, but once done you will have what you seek.

It's a lot easier to buy a tester where all this is already done.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 10:38 pm 

CrankTelephone101 wrote:
Hi! Being one of the younger members of the forum I am very appreciative of all the helpful people here who have contributed and helped to get most of my equipment I use in my shop today. I'm almost 18 so in a few months I will have more time to get out and find yet more equipment and radios to work on. I recently acquired another box of over 200 tubes that someone gave to me from an estate sale. A lot of them are miniature tubes and there are also a lot of compactron TV tubes.

I have 4 tube testers including a Hickok 533. They are very nice for all of my older tubes and sets that use them but none of them can test the later compactron tubes that I have that were used in later TV sets. I plan on working on TV sets in the future that use these tubes as well as building my own circuits utilizing some of these tube types and therefore I am interested in acquiring a later tube tester that is capable of testing these tubes.

I understand that the best test for a tube is in the circuit that it's used in, but I would like to have a simple emissions type tester that will be able to give me an estimate on how strong these tubes are. Let me know if any of you have such a tester that I could get some use out of!

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

~Dylan, CT101

A B&K 606 is a decent tester for the compactrons, also if you can find a Jackson 648 Series that has the Compactron sockets are nice

My tester Collection is a Triplet 3444, a Hickok 539B with CA 5 adaptor for Compactrons, a TV-7B , a Heathkit TT-1 ( which I really like) and a B&K 707 ( which seems to be on a forever loan to a friend)

Terry

Last edited by wiseguy on Jun Fri 14, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 7:53 am 

The Hickok 800A wil do it without additional adaptors. (as well as Novars,Nuvistors and the Sylvania 10 pin miniature and... transistors !)

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:59 pm 

The only one I have that has a compactron socket is a Heathkit IT 17. It also has two Nuvistor sockets. It is only a simple non dynamic tester but I hardly ever test a compactron anyway. Or Nuvistors, for that matter. That is TV set stuff until recent times.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 7:50 am 

An Eico 667 will test compactrons :D

They blew off the 4,5,6,7 big pin bases types to do it :evil:

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca