Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 13, 2019 12:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Testing Acorn Tubes
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 5:14 am 

Any tips on getting these buggers properly seated in the socket without breaking the delicate pin-to-bulb seals? And, then, removing them, again without damage?

Dang terrible design, IMHO, but I guess they didn't have any better way, back then time, to run high frequencies.

^^;;^^

Post subject: Re: Testing Acorn Tubes
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 8:06 am 

Greetings to Morcegao and the Forum:

Acorn tubes are tougher than they look. I have had to use a lot of force to insert and remove them from sockets on occasion, but I have never broken one. However, I did break a ceramic ring socket once... it was not as tough as the tube.

For insertion, you can push on the pins individually with an Xcellite "greenie" screwdriver or similar. For removal, the same if you can get at the bottom of the socket. Otherwise, just grab it and yank. A drop of contact cleaner with silicon oil or a SMALL drop of WD-40 on the pins can help with installation and removal forces.

Good Luck,

Post subject: Re: Testing Acorn Tubes
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 3:42 pm 

Morcegao wrote:
Dang terrible design, IMHO, but I guess they didn't have any better way, back then time, to run high frequencies.

^^;;^^

I agree. I have a few of those tubes. I recently saw some sockets in a box at an auction and didn't consider getting them. I think I would just use individual slip on socket clips to connect the tube in a DIY project.