Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 13, 2019 10:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help Tube Checking Tubes from the 1930's & 1940"s
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 6:15 am 

Hi Folks, A question regarding how to go about these 4 & 5 pin tubes, I have a box full and would like to be able to properly test them.
Any idea's on maybe building a simple circuit or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, . I'm open to any ideas.
Thank You
Tony

Post subject: Re: Need Help Tube Checking Tubes from the 1930's & 1940"s
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 12:33 pm 

The simple circuit you refer to would be a simple tube tester. I suppose you could build one, but you can buy one for $25-50 that will be just fine, cost less than building it, and give you some reliable results.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:44 pm 

transoceanic 8523 wrote:
Hi Folks, A question regarding how to go about these 4 & 5 pin tubes, I have a box full and would like to be able to properly test them.
Any idea's on maybe building a simple circuit or,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, . I'm open to any ideas. Thank You Tony
Your in the middle of NEARC country. Contact a local member to beg use of their tester.

A NEARC member may sell you a surplus tester, there is always a "Butt". A good tester is not cheap.

If you want to drive to Dartmouth you can test on the TV-7D/U, Triplett or the Hickok.

To build a tester requires a multi-voltage filament transformer, sockets, MA meter, blah blah, blah. As well as data sheets. WAY to much like work for "marginal" results.

If you decide to visit, bring Guinness!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 4:54 pm 

To do the job right you’d need to make at least two circuits, one to measure cathode emission and another to measure leakage and shorts between the elements. In order to do both in good form you would need some complicated switches which are not readily available. There were a lot of compact tube testers made in the 1930s-40s time frame, names like Supreme, Triplett, Weston, Readrite, Jewell, and others, that include both functions and can be had cheap because they don’t handle many of the really desirable later audio tubes.

Just be careful if you follow this path: there are also instruments called set analyzers which look similar to the older tube testers. They can be used to test tubes but they have to be connected to a radio or amplifier chassis to operate. They do not have their own power transformers, and it’s not really practical to add them externally.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 3:27 pm 

In my experience (70+ years), A simple check of the filament with an ohm meter is good enough, followed later by insertion in working equipment to check the value. Might miss one or two, but the price is tolerable.

Dale