Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 12, 2019 3:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Deoxit mode of action
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:02 pm 

All, Here's a video on corrosion inhibitors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpRrP3sqQLw. A number of inhibitors were tested and the author included deoxit. The results using Deoxit were outstanding.
Keith

Post subject: Re: Deoxit mode of action
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 4:23 pm 

For those of us that realize there are about 30 Deoxit products, the D100L was tested.

"Deoxit" by itself is useless in any discussion.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 5:37 pm 

Yes he's using the concentrated version but the protective coating held up as good as the coating he synthesized.
Keith

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:10 am 

For clarity he's using the the concentrated non aerosol version of DeoxitD5. I've heard of folks (family and friends) trying to protect their tools from salt spray in the Florida Keys by spraying with WD-40 and this definitely doesn't work well (as also demonstrated in video). I'm going to send some DeoxitD5 to my brother to see how it holds up.
Keith

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:15 am 

keith49vj3 wrote:
I've heard of folks (family and friends) trying to protect their tools from salt spray in the Florida Keys by spraying with WD-40 and this definitely doesn't work well (as also demonstrated in video).

I use CRC 3-36 in my metal/woodworking shop and it works well. Not sure about the salt spray, but the CRC definitely keeps rust off of the cast iron tables and surfaces during the humid months. I buy it in the gallon size and put it into a 1 qt sprayer. The guys on the Home Shop Machinist forum all swear by it.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 4:10 pm 

I have some ACF-50 and Cor-Ban products but they are more like coatings, in effect. I cleaned off my mower recently and sprayed the ACF on all the metal surfaces that looked like they would rust. Motorcycle guys love that stuff to keep their bikes exposed metal from rusting. I use just regular oils or so called rust inhibiting oils on my tools as they are not exposed to anything but normal humidity and handling for the most part. Anyone remember the black gunk they sprayed on your car to protect the underbody and frame back in the day? Ziebart? I had a new car treated back in the 70s. But it was a Chrysler product so I am sure it was soon setting in a salvage yard with a perfectly preserved body but a worn out engine.