Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 20, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dayrad Type 33 Tube Performance Meter, batteries used?
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 11:15 pm 

Just received in this 1933-1936? "tube performance meter" today...uses a 30 tube and a unknown battery arrangement?
It may have been part of a "test center" with other meters, although not sure of that.

Did not find anything about it in Radio news, Allied, Federated catalogs or online from that era, any further info appreciated :)
Made by Radio Products Co., Dayton , OH.
Thanks all,
Kent

Attachments:
Dayrad type 33 6 19 19 8.JPG
Dayrad type 33 6 19 19 8.JPG [ 194.72 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]
Dayrad type 33 6 19 19 9.JPG
Dayrad type 33 6 19 19 9.JPG [ 189.05 KiB | Viewed 282 times ]

Post subject: Re: Dayrad Type 33 Tube Performance Meter, batteries used?
PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 11:18 pm 

After studying the pictures I have concluded that it's a device for testing type 30 tubes. It has an oscillator and an output meter. There seem to be two or three oscillator frequencies.

The batteries are probably for filament and plate. Probably 45 V plate and 1.5 V filament.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 11:39 pm 

I did some searching and came up with some interesting information.

This tester was designed by Jackson, who formed the company that made test equipment. It was sold to Coletronics and/or Precision, and the testers were made for many years. The date on this particular item is likely about 1931 or a bit later. Jackson himself continued in the same business and moved from Ohio to NY.

For more details you can google his name and the name of the companies involved. I suspect some collectors may want your unit; while it has no useful function today, it may be of some historical interest.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 9:47 pm 

Thanks for the interesting info...I believe this may have been a early "proto?" type of "radio set tester" for testing the plate conductance? of tubes in a radio while it's working...using the type 30 tube such as the later made Jackson models 634, 636 and 637 of tube tester in the late '30's...
It may have been the first use of Jackson's "Dynamic" principle in product form, I am not sure... :?:

The battery guess sounds right judging by size of compartment...

Printed on meter (hard to read in photo) above is : < improvement > , followed below by: Start here at : 0 ,
"Meter indicates improved performance with new tubes"

Knobs below are "Meter control" and "Signal control"

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 12:37 am 

I can’t see all of the front panel in the photo, but I suspect that this tester works by injecting a signal of predetermined strength to the aerial and earth terminals of the radio set, with the meter indicating the output of the set. By this means it would be possible to demonstrate the improvement in gain that may be attained by installing new tubes in the set.

That would make this a very early tester to incorporate both a signal generator and output meter, though of course it would be of minimal utility in aligning a set. The contemporaneous Weston 590 oscillator was suitable for alignment, and had an optional output meter. It also had a grid-dip function, making it the first commercial grid-dip meter.

This Dayrad tester would be a really splendid addition to a collection of early radio test equipment. It probably used a pair of flashlight cells for the filament, and a 22.5-volt “B” battery.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 1:17 am 

Thanks for explaining better how it works testing tubes in a radio, Phillip.
Yes and the reason I purchased it was historical, to go with the rest of my test equip. collection of odd and almost forgotten technological curiosities and pioneer advancements... ...plus the type 30 tube is always useful to have around as a spare when needed! :) -my rationale for spending $25-
It does look like flashlight batteries would fit in there, are 22.5v. b batteries still available?
It would be a bummer to have to test it out someday with a power supply hooked up to see if it worked. (too many wires in too many directions)
-Kent

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 3:37 am 

The thing I find puzzling about that thing is that the tube appears to be recessed deeply into the tester. Doesn't look convenient for removing the tube. Not much to grab hold of.

BTW, the type 30 has a 2 volt filament, intended to be used with a 2 volt battery (the obsolete air cell or a lead acid battery), or else with two 1.5 volt batteries in series plus a rheostat.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 4:25 am 

Thanks Bob, I think the type 30 tube is recessed just to protect it from getting damaged when it's in use.
It's easy to pull out from the top even after all these years because of the "ST" top shape of the type 30 gives you lots to grab hold of and pull
without much wiggling the tube or the socket.
That makes more sense to it's era using those obsolete batteries for the correct filament.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 7:11 am 

Kent, quite a number of 22.5-volt batteries are still made and commonly available. The smaller ones aren’t overly expensive, but larger types with binding posts are outrageous. Yet it is extremely likely that your Dayrad tester will work properly with two common 9-volt transistor radio batteries in series, despite the somewhat lower voltage.

Any of the service oscillators of the 1920s and early 1930s is worth a place in a collection. They are all interesting, and most are small and light in weight. Many are extremely well made. Note the high-quality die-cast cabinet of the Dayrad, another characteristic it shares with the Weston 590:

https://newsm.org/wireless/weston-model-590-oscillator/