Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: tube tester coverage
PostPosted: Feb Sun 16, 2020 8:11 pm 

hi guys
need some advice on which tube tester might be more expansive on it's tube testing abilities, my old precision has done well for the majority of project i tackle but as i find myself getting more and more into vintage ham receiver and transmitter ( and transceivers ) projects i'm finding it just won't test some of the tubes i'm running into. even the old sweep tube stuff is beyond it's abilities.
lol, guess i should have thought about it before i gathered up my old 1948 precision so long ago.....
any thoughts on a tester that will cover the all the bases as far as far as transmitting tubes and such would sure help, thanks in advance
buck
kc7uup

Post subject: Re: tube tester coverage
PostPosted: Feb Sun 16, 2020 9:07 pm 

zbiker II wrote:
hi guys
need some advice on which tube tester might be more expansive on it's tube testing abilities, my old precision has done well for the majority of project i tackle but as i find myself getting more and more into vintage ham receiver and transmitter ( and transceivers ) projects i'm finding it just won't test some of the tubes i'm running into. even the old sweep tube stuff is beyond it's abilities.
lol, guess i should have thought about it before i gathered up my old 1948 precision so long ago.....
any thoughts on a tester that will cover the all the bases as far as far as transmitting tubes and such would sure help, thanks in advance
buck
kc7uup

The Hickok 752 and 752A (FAA testers) test quite a few, and can do more with the CA-4 or CA-5 adapters. The 752A has the compactron and noval sockets. Both also test VR tubes and eye tubes. Many of the other Hickok 500 and 600(0) series will also test transmitting types.

The B&K 747B also will test most modern sweep/ham transmit stuff - but leaves behind the 4, 5, and 6 pin stuff.

All of the above are pricey when you do find one.....

It may pay to look through the military TV- series testers to see if the tubes you want to test are covered - those are popular and easier to find at reasonable prices.

Probably best to have a legacy tester (sounds like you may already have one) and a modern tester. No one tester can fully test them all directly.......

PostPosted: Feb Sun 16, 2020 9:15 pm 

thanks for the reply brian, i'll definitely hafta give a look around and see what can be found, your probably right that i need to look more for a tv type tester

PostPosted: Feb Sun 16, 2020 11:29 pm 

Which model Precision tube tester do you have? I have a Precision 912 found at an estate sale whose owner religiously subscribed to all of the updates and bought the appropriate socket adapters which allowed the unit to test almost every tube made for consumer electronics right up to the end of the tube era. In the 1960's, another company, Coletronics, began making the socket adapters and supplying the update lists for this and other Precision models as well as for other brands of testers. I can test many more tubes with my 912 than I can with my TV-7D/U which is one reason why I have kept it. I have seen socket adapters available on ebay and I believe the updates are available on line.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 4:27 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
Which model Precision tube tester do you have? I have a Precision 912 found at an estate sale whose owner religiously subscribed to all of the updates and bought the appropriate socket adapters which allowed the unit to test almost every tube made for consumer electronics right up to the end of the tube era. In the 1960's, another company, Coletronics, began making the socket adapters and supplying the update lists for this and other Precision models as well as for other brands of testers. I can test many more tubes with my 912 than I can with my TV-7D/U which is one reason why I have kept it. I have seen socket adapters available on ebay and I believe the updates are available on line.

Dave

+1 - the online tube charts show more tubes tested on the 900-series than any tube tester in my stable. Wow, what a comprehensive tester th 912 is..... I gave away 2 Precision testers a few years back. Had I known......

Thanks for the eye opener!

Cheers,

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 5:42 am 

Well, I thought the precision testers tested jist about everything!

I use my 10-12 quite a bit, but if someone wanted to add a quality tester that specialized in older tubes that doesn't break the bank, maybe a 177-B?

I use my 177B when I want a specific mmohs on an older tube...

Steve

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 6:04 am 

If you are trying to test transmitter tubes and sweep tubes most testers don't supply the voltages and current to do a proper test.

DM

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 6:36 am 

My unit is model 612. It does everything I need.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 17, 2020 6:31 pm 

devilsmist wrote:
If you are trying to test transmitter tubes and sweep tubes most testers don't supply the voltages and current to do a proper test.

DM

uTracer6 (once its finished) ?

https://www.dos4ever.com/uTracerlog6/tubetester6.html

1000V @ 1A.

Till then, there's the uTracer3+ w/ 400V @ 200mA https://www.dos4ever.com/uTracer3/uTracer3_pag7.html

Sockets however, are left as an exercise for the builder.... I'm still working on mine. Board is done, sockets less so....

David

PostPosted: Feb Fri 21, 2020 2:15 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:

Dave

mine is the 912, a set of socket adapter would be quite handy.
it predates sweep tubes i'm pretty sure and i see no socket adapter to test my 6KD6's so it may be time to just start looking for a newer model to fill the gap for testing

PostPosted: Feb Sat 22, 2020 1:34 am 

One of the more recent model socket adapters and set-up charts is needed for Compactrons and Novar based sweep tubes. My 912 came with two however the set-up procedure for 12-pin tubes is slightly more complicated because the Compactron socket has 13 holes. The chart tells you which hole to place the missing pin on the tube over.

The Coletronics socket adapter models that came with my tester are A-15 and B-16 (with an additional 9-pin Magnoval socket). Also needed is an Octal-to-9-pin-miniature tube adapter if the tester doesn't already have a 9-pin miniature socket installed (which mine doesn't).

Dave

PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2020 11:39 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:

Dave

----------------------
Does anyone have a link for a Precision 912? Every time I find one, IT'S NOT FOR A 912! One says 912- 914, but it's for the 614.
It DOES NOT MATCH the 912 hardware. In other words, My 912 has a circle of resistors that ALL connect at one end just
like the 614 schematic shows. So I need a schematic of a 912, that looks like the 614!

Sorry, this was for Steve. I've received an email, but it went to drworry. Hope I got this right!

Last edited by ted.m on Nov Tue 03, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 12:44 am 

I have the 912...can't remember where I found it. Email me and I will send it to you.

Steve

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 3:34 pm 

The problem with testing transmitter final tubes and even TV sweep tubes is, in operation those tubes have to meet a fairly high peak to average current ratio. Tube testers and analyzers that operate the tubes on filtered or unfiltered DC, or AC, do not replicate the duty cycle. Strong emission at DC, 60 Hz, or 120 Hz does not mean there will be anywhere near as much output when you get to, say, 10 MHz.

For this reason, transmitter finals, drivers, and sweep tubes are customarily tested in the actual equipment that uses them, or if not then in equipment that replicates the same conditions they'll encounter in service as close as possible (think power oscillators). Where tube testers like the Hickoks and Precisions do test smaller sized "transmitting" tubes with conventional bases like the 807, 811, or 6146, it's because those tubes were also used for things like theater amplifiers and industrial equipment where RF performance was not of concern. Sure they'll separate out tubes that are working on a basic level from total duds, but the fact that a tube tests well on DC or low frequency AC tells you nothing about what might happen on, say, 20 meters.

Thomas A. Edison