Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Test Bench
PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 12:46 pm 

Someone near me is selling this vintage test bench. I have no idea of the functionality, but I am really interested in buying. I also have no idea of a reasonable offer, as I don't have any experience with this kind of stuff. There is some damage on the right side, but it appears structurally sound. Does anyone have any idea of what to offer?

Attachments:
Screenshot_20201020-073915_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20201020-073915_Facebook.jpg [ 369.43 KiB | Viewed 654 times ]
Screenshot_20201020-073928_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20201020-073928_Facebook.jpg [ 427.92 KiB | Viewed 654 times ]

Post subject: Re: Test Bench
PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 1:05 pm 

It's really not worth much, except to someone that actually wants it. I'd see if the seller has a $ figure in mind, and then you'll have to decide if it's what you are willing to pay. If not, at least its a place to start negotiations.

Due to the size of the thing, I doubt there will be a stampede of potential buyers ... and probably even less probable that any buyer would want to go to the expense of having it shipped. But of course, there are never any guarantees. It's likely a museum piece for someone.

In terms of the value of the individual components? If the meters work, perhaps $20 each. Unless there is a lot of circuitry behind the secret panel, that's about it for components. Be a shame to take it apart..... it may be unique, possibly even built by the user.

Are there any identification markings behind the panel perhaps ? Perhaps it was even a custom built factory test station for whatever they were making.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 1:51 pm 

The market for such a bench is small, but a few of us like them, IF and that is a BIG IF, room is available and such an item is desired.

Something like this would likely not sell at an estate auction, if it did sell, then maybe in the 1-5 dollar range. It is simply too big and bulky for most to deal with.

However.... If this is something you are wanting or needing, then you need to weigh how much it would cost to actually build something similar, or something to your needs.

My guess would be in the $25-50 range. $100 max. I personally would love to have something like this myself, BUT, where would I put it? I have a bench already and it would be a MAJOR undertaking to remove what I have to install this bench. Not worth it..

The bench I currently have actually did get bought at an estate sale. It belonged to a TV shop local to me, and I worked with the owner's son at another TV shop. So i had some idea of the history behind it.
Anyhow, I knew the auction was happening, and I was interested in the bench, but I got there too late. It sold for $1.
The new owner was looking at it when I arrived as he was trying to figure out how to get it home.
I talked to him a bit and offered him $5 for it. He took the offer and I hauled it home.

It isn't as tall, only has a few drawers and doesn't have the metered panel, but is built well.

Anyhow, that is my take on it. :D

Good luck!
-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 2:36 pm 

A quick search on the WEB for closest and least expensive new bench is https://www.homedepot.com/p/OLYMPIA-4-ft-W-x-5-ft-H-x-2-ft-D-Black-Steel-Workbench-with-Built-In-Power-and-Lighting-82-802/207200214 which would cost $120 plus sales tax. It doesn't have the populated test panel as many draws and the pull-out seat of the "test bench" and is not as sturdy. There would be a little work to clean and refurbish the "test bench". I would ask the seller what he has in mind for the bench and the maximum I would offer would be what it would cost me ($120 plus tax) for the home depot bench I was really interested in it.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 3:34 pm 

One of the drawers is missing.

Can you figure out what's on the panel? It might look good as a prop in a movie, but unless you canfigure out function, and itfits yiur needs, it is just decoration.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 3:43 pm 

Unless there are instructions on functions of the back panel, the panel is of little use and will likely be used to hang misc. gear. The drawers are convenient (one missing) and I doubt I would use the pull-out seat. I have an old back issue and require a back rest. I wouldn’t exceed $50 as a final offer. If you don’t have a truck or trailer you may have to rent a means to get it home so factor any additional cost to get it home and into its final location.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 4:51 pm 

Guessing at dimensions, it appears to be about 40" wide and the working surface area (in front of the backsplash) about 18-20" deep. I wouldn't give anything for it, but only because I design and build my own benches and require a deep bench.
If you only need such a shallow work area, then I suggest offering what the wood and labor to construct a similar bench is worth to you.

I agree with the others about the built-in equipment. Even if it works and you figure out what it was for, it probably won't be what you will need, so you'll end up getting rid of it in favor of gear you do need, and you'll want that space for a shelf/gear. That extra hassle of removing and disposing of the existing gear might factor into your value estimate. I doubt the gear will be wanted by anyone else, either, unless you find a hardcore collector who is looking for this kind of thing.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 5:01 pm 

Since it has a lot of various power outlets, I would guess that it was made for working on various appliances rather than radios, TV, etc. It even has a 220V socket. The meter probably measure power line voltage and current. I think that seat would be uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 5:20 pm 

My guess is that nobody would want it and that the owner would be happy to find someone to take it. So if I were interested I would offer to take it free. If that isn't accepted, leave my card and say the offer is good any time and call if you want to get rid of it.

One of my favorite remarks is 'do you want to get rid of it or not?'.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 6:06 pm 

You need to figure out what it is worth to you. To the general public, the seller would probably have a hard time giving it away. Let him sit on it a while.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 10:03 pm 

It hurts just looking at that pull-out seat..... :lol:

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 1:26 am 

It might have been from a school. Then the student wouldn't have to use the seat for longer than it took to do his lab assignment.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 1:31 am 

Tim Tress wrote:
It hurts just looking at that pull-out seat..... :lol:

I am only 57.. that's before my time :shock: wondered how that worked..

charge them for removal... custom built is not worth much besides what you can use it for.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 1:52 am 

It looks like a really sturdy bench but near as I can see the panel looks like something you’d find in a small motor or appliance repair shop. Not really a radio bench at all, and the panel takes up a lot of valuable real estate for tools and test equipment. So I agree with those who would offer what the lumber is worth, and walk away without a second thought if it wasn’t accepted.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 4:02 pm 

It will be worth a different amount to each person depending upon how much the person really wants it. A long time ago I asked my father about his bargaining skills. He said that in the 1940's he went to the junk yard to get a headlight bulb for his car. The junk yard owner removed a bulb from a car and asked him 50 cents for it. He said how about a quarter. He said that the junk yard dealer threw the bulb down and smashed it and he had to go an purchase a new bulb from a auto parts store.

The first thing to consider is how much you really want the bench. It does have a lot of AC distribution and measuring capability (volts, amps) and a variable 0-25 volt supply. It does have a pull out seat (you could sit on it to see if is comfortable enough to use before purchasing it). It is very sturdy and has plenty of draws (albeit it is missing one which I would use as a pull out for some test gear). It would require a little effort to refurbish it so that it looks like new.

Then the next thing to consider is how much it would cost for a new bench (one with considerably less features and much more flimsy construction was mentioned in my previous post. If you really want the bench this would be a reasonable maximum to have in mind. Actually the materials to construct the test bench would cost more than this at home depot.

The next thing would be to find out what the owner of the test would like to get for it. If is more than the maximum you had in mind then tell him what was the maximum you had in mind and see if a mutually acceptable compromise could be worked out if your maximum is not acceptable.

Since I don't have a basement and my benches are in my garage (which also hold both of my autos), I would have no room for this bench. But if I had the room and it was locally available to me I would probably make an offer.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 6:26 pm 

Thank you for all the responses. I was kind of hoping for the reaction I got.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 8:16 pm 

Wired for testing three-phase Delta Wye motors?

PostPosted: Oct Fri 23, 2020 3:55 am 

DCW wrote:
Someone near me is selling this vintage test bench. I have no idea of the functionality, but I am really interested in buying. I also have no idea of a reasonable offer, as I don't have any experience with this kind of stuff. There is some damage on the right side, but it appears structurally sound. Does anyone have any idea of what to offer?

I'm in love with that design--Not sure about the ballpincher seat, but boy I could see some lovely modifications that could be done to it, like more sockets, updating the fusing system, etc.

Seller has stars in his eyes and wants FAR more than what it's worth.