Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Olson TE-150 Signal Injector
PostPosted: Oct Tue 20, 2020 5:07 pm 

I've been trying to get some of my more stubborn test equipment working. I obtained an Olson TE-150, which is a rebadged Micronta 22-4032. The circuit didn't work when I got it, but the light worked ok. After going round and round checking and testing components and this and that off and on for over 3 days, I finally found the battery + and - wires reversed at the little circuit board. It now works fine, with the 2SB328 transistor that's in it, I had to homebrew a tip since this unit didn't come with it. I don't think these ever came as a kit, I was wondering how common it is to find stuff mis-wired like this, I've gotta say, I'm no electronics wizard, but I didn't expect that, and it had me a bit frustrated, something this simple giving me that much trouble. Did it ever work, or is more likely somebody messed with it in the past? I'm starting to wonder about some of my other more stubborn to fix equipment.

Attachment:
100_1730.JPG
100_1730.JPG [ 566.65 KiB | Viewed 226 times ]

Post subject: Re: Olson TE-150 Signal Injector
PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 12:03 am 

It is uncommon to find factory made equipment mis-wired like that. However, I'm going to guess that it worked when it left the factory, and someone miswired it later on. Normally, factory equipment, even small and lower priced things like this, would have been tested to some degree before going to the packaging department.

Nice that you found it though.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 1:40 am 

I’ve had a couple of the Radio Shack versions of that and as I recall the battery connectors had a tendency to fall apart even if the battery didn’t leak. Somebody probably attempted to replace the connector and got the wires reversed. It probably didn’t work when they started and it still didn’t work when they were done so they shelved it and forgot about it.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Oct Wed 21, 2020 9:41 am 

This signal injector was made in Japan and sold by a variety of firms under their names. It was sold in kit form by Knight and Olson, though the kits were packaged differently.

I have amassed a fairly large collection of signal injectors, and this particular design is, I think, the best overall. There is information on this signal injector and others, with some schematic diagrams, on the following ARF thread:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... p?t=109446

More discussion, and a member-constructed unit with the same circuit:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=304022

A signal injector is one of the simplest and most useful instruments for radio trouble-shooting.

That replacement probe above looks excellent.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 23, 2020 1:39 am 

Thankyou for the replies and information. Actually, it just did it's first job for me. My RCA 89 developed a problem where the sound would cut out and die some time after warmup. Intermittent, after a while, the sound would come back on again, and then later die again for a while, repeat... Starting at the volume control, the injector signal worked as far back as the IF stage, and nothing from in back of that to the antenna. I quickly swapped the RF, 1st det & osc tubes with spares I had while the set was warmed up and dead, no change. Then looked at the 224 "control" tube, I believe this is the AVC. I didn't have a spare tube for this, so I set the tube up for an extended test on my tube tester. Sure enough, it shorted grid to cathode after about 15 minutes or so. Got a tube on order. One detail on the injector, is that the Pilmore #BH343 4 square AA battery holder I had to buy from Abel Electronics because the original was missing would not fit into the plastic tube cabinet with the batteries in it. I wound up trimming the plastic battery dividers out of it, and it now fits into the plastic cabinet fine.