Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 1:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sencore PAINT COLOR
PostPosted: Oct Sun 25, 2020 11:16 pm 

There was a thread on here not to long ago where a member had used a spray paint to renew some of his test equipment. I have let that thread get by me and I want to try and find the thread. He did a nice job and got to thinking I needed to get that same color for some of my Sencore pieces that need some renewal. Any body smart enough to remember the thread I am talking about? Any thoughts appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Sencore PAINT COLOR
PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 3:05 am 

What era? Sencore used vinyl covering on their metal chassis instead of paint, going back quite a while.
The plastic housings of course didn't need any covering/coating.
Are you wanting to match the somewhat grayish color of the plastic models, or the later vinyl-covered "Tech Choice" gear?
The early stuff was mostly black, so that's easy enough to duplicate. :)

Or, are you talking about recreating a front escutcheon and need to match that color, such as on the SC61?

For exact matching, you can take the piece in and have it computer matched at an auto body shop; many paint stores can do this, too. Custom paint will run you some coin, though. Some outfits will sell a single rattle can, but a lot of them want to sell no less than a pint or quart, and charge big bucks for it.

If you're just wanting "close enough", then you'll probably find a suitable color/shade stocked at Walmart or a big box hardware store or an auto parts store.
Grays can be hard to match, though, that's for sure.

Most of my plastic gear (e.g., DVM37, TF46) has turned to a sort of-beige color, no doubt at least in part due to fluorescent shop lighting. I never smoked, but no doubt some of the prior owners of some of my gear did, and nicotene stains.. everything.
You generally only find the true gray units if they're NOS and stayed in their OEM box all these years.
If you're wanting to paint plastic, there are some things you need to do to prep the surface, and I would suggest one of the plastic-purposed paints, like Krylon fusion.

But, you probably don't even need to paint plastic. Faded/yellowed plastic can be chemically restored to its original gray, at least for a while, but the process usually needs to be repeated over time.

Post subject: Re: Sencore PAINT COLOR
PostPosted: Oct Mon 26, 2020 9:02 pm 

OK, I found the thread I was looking for from February of this year. Gee how time flies. I was looking for the name of the spray paint used on a Heathkit cabinet and not Sencore but will work for a Sencore piece. It was VHT brand gray wrinkle finish spray paint. I believe it will work for LC-53 cabinet. Thanks.