Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 24, 2020 2:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hundreds of vintage cataloged manuals and schematics
PostPosted: Oct Tue 27, 2020 2:49 am 

These are not for sale. I am trying to find out if there is any interest in them as far as using them is concerned or is everything on .pdf these days. I am bringing them to my home in a few days and can give you more information then. I am NOT looking for a value. Thank you.

Attachments:
manuals.jpg
manuals.jpg [ 397.63 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]
manual2.jpg
manual2.jpg [ 304.62 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

Post subject: Re: Hundreds of vintage cataloged manuals and schematics
PostPosted: Oct Tue 27, 2020 3:10 am 

I, for one, am a huge fan of digitizing all such data. I have the equipment, time, and interest to do so.

I make such information available to all, without recompense.

I have recently digitized a library of jukebox materials, including large scale schematics.

If others think this data is worth saving, then perhaps we can think about what it might cost to ship it me for digitization at media mail rates.

Steve

PostPosted: Oct Tue 27, 2020 4:55 am 

All this stuff looks like SAMS photofacts. Since SAMS is still in business, most likely, all this stuff is already digitized.
Plus, almost every TV/Radio shop from the 50's on, had file cabinets full of this stuff. When all these shops closed up, this stuff was sold off, given away, or put by the curb. I sent a large assortment (I think it was 4 boxes) of TV photofacts to recycling years ago.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 27, 2020 5:16 am 

Take a close look at the photo of the front a Photofact folder, above. Enlarge it a bit and you can read a significant part of the COPYRIGHT statement that appears on each folder. Read it. Like it or not, that's the Law. The publisher is entitled to take legal action against people who reproduce and distribute copyrighted publications.

Please, lets not mess up this good technical forum with political discussions of the rightness of copyright.
-Chuck

PostPosted: Oct Tue 27, 2020 5:23 am 

I'm pretty sure it's all been digitized already. Even if not, SAMS sets come up free for pickup pretty often, and usually go unclaimed.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 27, 2020 6:12 am 

K7MCG wrote:
Take a close look at the photo of the front a Photofact folder, above. Enlarge it a bit and you can read a significant part of the COPYRIGHT statement that appears on each folder. Read it. Like it or not, that's the Law. The publisher is entitled to take legal action against people who reproduce and distribute copyrighted publications.

Please, lets not mess up this good technical forum with political discussions of the rightness of copyright.
-Chuck

This has been discussed many times before. The copyrights before 1964 were not renewed and are fair game. I'm sure a search of this site will bear that out.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 3:14 am 

drworry wrote:
I have recently digitized a library of jukebox materials, including large scale schematics.

Steve

Do you have these jukebox manuals posted somewhere?

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 3:58 am 

no...it is over 70gB of data so far, and as a retired person with no IT background, having a storage space is beyond me.

I urge anyone looking for jukebox materials to become a member of Jukebox Manuals Library on FB, where materials are shared openly.

As you might suspect, this is a hot topic for some...there has long been a cottage industry in the preparation and sales of these materials in high quality paper format, and I for one am thankful for that. But, with the inexorable movement to a digitized format and cloud storage, one must recognize that the sharing of these materials no longer comes with a cost (beyond the upfront expenditure of time and energy in the digitization).

I, as the voice of one, cannot see charging $ for the sharing of bits and bytes (or mB in these cases)..

Steve

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 10:30 am 

drworry wrote:
no...it is over 70gB of data so far, and as a retired person with no IT background, having a storage space is beyond me.Steve

Put it on a USB memory stick and send it to one of those jukebox forum members for posting to the world. :)

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 1:27 pm 

drworry wrote:
no...it is over 70gB of data so far, and as a retired person with no IT background, having a storage space is beyond me.

Not everyone uses FB and may not have access to the files. Since you've already done the work and want to share, you can upload the data to free cloud services like Dropbox, Onedrive, etc. Once you do that, everyone who needs/wants the information can download it to a 128MB Flash drive that cost less than $20. Just post the link.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 2:33 pm 

mr.fabe wrote:
drworry wrote:

Not everyone uses FB and may not have access to the files. Since you've already done the work and want to share, you can upload the data to free cloud services like Dropbox, Onedrive, etc. Once you do that, everyone who needs/wants the information can download it to a 128MB Flash drive that cost less than $20. Just post the link.

He's got 70 GB of data. The free Dropbox account only gives you 2.25 GB of space. The next step up is 2 TB, but at $12/month or $120/year.

OneDrive is a bit cheaper, 100 GB for $2/month, 1 TB (plus MS 365) for $70/year. The free account is only 5 GB.

iCloud is $3/month for 200 GB, or $10/month for 2TB. The free account is only 5 GB, and you can get 50 GB for $1/month.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 28, 2020 2:48 pm 

stevebyan wrote:
mr.fabe wrote:
drworry wrote:

He's got 70 GB of data. The free Dropbox account only gives you 2.25 GB of space. The next step up is 2 TB, but at $12/month or $120/year.

OneDrive is a bit cheaper, 100 GB for $2/month, 1 TB (plus MS 365) for $70/year. The free account is only 5 GB.

iCloud is $3/month for 200 GB, or $10/month for 2TB. The free account is only 5 GB, and you can get 50 GB for $1/month.

I guess they cut the free storage sizes but there are still others around like https://degoo.com/ Free 100GB account.

I just tested out degoo and it appears to work ok. Limitations on the free account is 512MB single file upload limit. There is a 5GB referral bonus up to 500GB.
Attachment:
degoo.jpeg
degoo.jpeg [ 169.12 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]