Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 5:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tulip Crimper madness!
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 6:19 pm 

Tulip Crimper madness!

I have the usual group, maybe four, of generic "crush" crimpers and one Tulip crimper for 15-30 amp Anderson connectors.

When I consulted for Vectrix Electric Motorcycle, they had crimpers, often for just one terminal size. There were dozens of these crimpers kept on the inside of the electrical lab door. I understood these were roughly $300 each...

Management, and responsibly so, was very strict about the correct crimper to use so the terminal would meet pull test and not have strands or insulation hanging out.

Some of the crimpers for bare lugs would act not only on the wire but the barrel insulation as well. A "Dual" crimp?

Now I cannot afford nor would ever use terminal specific crimpers unless it was a Government job.

My issue is both cost and knowledge. I want buy crimpers at China eBay prices, for, in the most part, China terminals and some US.

My "know how" goes out the window trying to identify the "Terminal Code" assigned to terminals sold through both eBay and other China vendors.

This is the "code" group for a set of terminals that are valid for one type of China eBay crimper:

MDFNY, FDFNY, MPD, FRD, RV, SV, FDD,
FDFD, MDD, PBDD, PBDFI, RNYD, SNYD,
FDFN, MDFN, HV, MPFN, FRFN, FSFNYD,
MDFNYD, FRFNYD, MPFNYD, DBV, PTV,
BHT, BNYF, BV.

I am not sure if these are insulated or bare...

It seems there is no direct association of crimper to terminal designation. For an awkward example: screw size of 8-32, (some crush crimpers have a screw cutting device) we all know what 8-32 is, same for those fluent in Metric.

My only guidance would be to buy crimpers with a group of dies and other crimpers with additional sizes. try them on the desired terminals and wire, if they pass an un-calibrated pull test and look good, done. "Un-calibrated" means a pull test with a old Chatillon Spring scale to 10#'s or so...

Seems a waste but I cannot find any other way this can be done that would not involve a custom crimper at $300 a pop... :roll:

Simply buy (blind) several of the variety of crimpers offered on ebay and make my own "discovery". Even "several" will be less than $100 and keep notes...

Is there any other (sane) way to buy tulip crimpers? Any comments?

Chas

Post subject: Re: Tulip Crimper madness!
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 12:37 am 

I make do with whatever works now. I have several aviation type crimpers for pins, which are something very rarely used, and a big Amp crimper for large lugs with a set of dies that I rescued. Also a professional crimper for plastic terminals that I got at a garage sale for 3 bucks and cleaned up. And a crimper for BNC connectors. IF I am at loss I probably would just give up and solder the bits together. That is, for my own purposes only.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 12:49 am 

For most of what the average hobbiest is doing, the flat bolt cutter/ crimper works well enough if used carefully. You may need to experiment as to which color crimp works best with which insulated or non insulated terminal

I also have a general purpose ratchet crimper, but it needs some experimenting as well for terminals I haven’t used for a while

If you are doing a lot of the same size, perhaps a Palladian handle and a few dies would be cost effective

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 12:58 am 

I use a Paladin CrimpAll with different dies. The body is more or less standard and many crimpers use the same die dimensions so you could get away with buying a Chinese knock off. Buy the appropriate die for whatever you want to crimp and you're good to go. Dies can be anywhere from $5-30, so far better than $300.

Ratcheting crimpers are better than non-ratcheting ones since you have to complete the crimp before they release. It's easy to make a bad crimp with a non-ratcheting crimper.

I think Ideal gobbled up Paladin.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:04 am 

Thanks Barry & PaulAm!

Paladin Tools PA8000 CrimpALL Professional Crimping Tool, Crimper Frame Only...

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-CrimpAL ... B000VH1OVG

That is a starting point... I can compare tooling options with China offerings.

I searched with Duck Duck Go, skipped all the rubbish from Google...

I remember bits from crimper 101, letting the die rest closed for a moment so the copper can relax.

Chas

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:21 am 

What is a "Tulip Crimper"? I have ratcheting handles from a major Ham supplier that has optional jaws for all common wire connector crimps, also three jaws for Coax and and another generic dedicated jaw set for Power Pole and they all work fine with pull test as hard as I can pull and have done so fine for years. They all came from China but sold in the US by reputable suppliers. I don't understand the issue?

Real Radios Glow in the Dark

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 4:27 am 

I used the "hunt and peck" process with one of the Chi-Com crimp tools that came with several sets of dies. I also bought the typical R-B-Y wire terminal crimper, then one for coax, another for big Molex, tiny Molex, .....

My oldest is a "T" head PIDG crimper I bought from Ma Bell surplus in '61 or there about. I use the heck out of the Klein machine screw cutters and they will cut Stainless hardware all day long.

All but the "T" head, and the Klein, are E-Bay purchases and have worked fine.

For striping wire I use Ideal tool's StripMaster strippers. There are two classes of dies available for the tools.
The cheap chisel type,

And the slightly higher priced, counter bored, Mil Spec type.

These are also shown illustrated IN THESE catalog pages. I've always used the Mil Spec dies, they do a much better job and don't nick the wire strands. These strippers can be found on the bay used, for about what you would pay for cheapies, new. The two that I have are going on 50 years old and still work well.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 5:20 am 

For advanced hobbyist use, this looks pretty good:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045CUMLQ/re ... d_wg=vnBcc

To do a good crimp, you need a gas tight crimp.

John

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 12:55 pm 

Attachment:
CRIMP TB22.png
CRIMP TB22.png [ 280.7 KiB | Viewed 438 times ]
I have had to use the AMP PIDG lugs working at Vandenberg AFB, GE Nuclear Products Div, the Rocketdyne main plant, etc. etc.
I've never seen any fail, even when we pulled them to ridiculous values of tension
on a pneumatic tester. The wire would break, just as intended.
On a lighter note, T & B made a good rotary die selection crimper that has always cut the mustard when needed, covers a wide range of wire gauges, and not too brutal on the hands. I'll dig it up if I can find it and get the model number. One of those would be a good catch.
OK, its a Thomas & Betts "Color Keyed Comfort Crimp", CAT# TBM25S

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 1:14 pm 

There is no amount of $ that’s too much for purpose built crimpers. At the shop I had a Daniel’s handle with a few dies as per customer request, even though I pointed out the gross overkill for the task at hand. They paid over $1,000 for their “attention to detail “ lol

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 7:55 pm 

KX5JSC wrote:
For advanced hobbyist use, this looks pretty good:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045CUMLQ/re ... d_wg=vnBcc

To do a good crimp, you need a gas tight crimp.

John

That's more or less the same set I've got and worth its weight in gold when you need it.