Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 02, 2021 2:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: EICO 540 READI-TESTER MULTITESTER
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 12:53 am 

Gentlemen,
I recently aquired an Eico 540 Redi Tester at a local flea market, for $ 5.00. Can some one direct me where to find the how to use literature or an assembly manual and a schematic. BAMA has no listing. For the ohms function, there were 3 - 1.5 volt C cell batteries that were corroded to almost dust, inside a postage envelop, with the terminals soldered to provide 4.5 volts.....is this correct? There was no battery holder....just loose contained by the wires. The meter movement, case, knobs, range switch, dial and pointer are in great condition. I'm hesitant to apply any test voltages...for risk of terminal damage to the meter. This device has got to be 50+ years old. Any help and information will be greatly appreciated.....just could not pass up this little gem..... thanks in advance for your help and consideration.
BOB RENTON

Post subject: Re: EICO 540 READI-TESTER MULTITESTER
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 4:12 am 

I found a reprint of the manual: https://www.glendalemanuals.com/product ... on-manual/

I also found an old thread here describing the battery weirdness. Radio Museum said it had 5 C cells inside for battery power.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 8:02 pm 

I'm guessing not many were sold or it wasn't saved by those who did own one. I didn't find any free pdf scans to download. There was an ARF classified selling EICO manuals back in 2013 that listed one for $3 plus shipping but that member hasn't logged in since 2018.

It was more common back then to save the cost of a cell holder by simply soldering wires to the old-style carbon-zinc batteries. Unfortunately that often resulted in them being left in place to corrode away.

An in-series holder would work, I'd think AA size would work as well.

One thing to check is if the AC wiring connects directly to any of the probes. That could be dangerous to discover while using it. Best to leave probes unplugged when performing tests involving the two-prong AC outlet. It may not need to be plugged into the wall except when checking load amps/watts or leakage via the neon lamp. The batteries would be used for reading the ohms resistance.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 10:27 pm 

Gentlemen.....
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR OUTSTANDING EFFORT AND INFORMATION regarding my query re the Eico 540 tester.
I'll purchase the reprint booklet for the meter.
I agree withthe premise of using 4 - AA batteries for the ohms function. I'm not sure what the attached cord set is for and or how to use it. There is a 2 prong receptical on the panel assuming some 120v AC current consuming device would ge plugged into it and the attached cord plugged into a std 120v AC outlet to measure watts consumed? I've seen dozens of these devices on eBay ranging from several $$ to $75. After a review of the booklet I'll see if its worthwhile to use or just say OH WELL....and put it out of my misery.
I appreciate your comments and the information and suggestions....thanks again....
BOB RENTON