Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 4:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Telequipment D-54R scope
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 8:16 pm 

I have one that I started restoring.

Got as far as replacing most of the resistors in the horizontal section (out of 20 I tested after replacing them only two were in tolerance) and replaced all the electrolytic caps. I also replaced some trimpots that cleaning wouldn't fix or where they only required a slight touch to affect the adjustment a good bit with multi-turn trimpots. I tend to replace regular trimpots with multi-turn trimpots as that often makes a particular adjustment easier to do.

Then noticed that line voltage variations affected calibration namely the DC balance cal so I regulated the four main supply voltages Want to say they are +12 +12.5 -12 and +105 and normal line voltage variations no longer affect cal. I also used a voltage doubler and regulated the -1.05KV CRT voltage. I did not regulate the higher CRT HV as I saw no need plus I didn't feel like using that many 200 volt zeners in series. Plus the +105 volt line was a little low and the -1050 volt line was a little low as well.

I still have to replace all the other carbon comp resistors though.

I have a Hitachi V-355 oscope that is better far as triggering is concerned and has a few other nicer things such as being able to invert one trace, an add function more screen area, sharper trace and better scale illumination, but I find myself using the Telequipment almost exclusively, however it does go up to 50V/DIV whereas the Hitachi is only 5V/DIV.

At work I use a nice LeCroy LT-342 for most things and have a Tektronix 2246 scope when I need an analog scope, however I sometimes find me wanting to bring my Telequipment and use it.

Do y'all have test equipment that may not be the best, but you prefer it over better things for one reason or another?

Post subject: Re: Telequipment D-54R scope
PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 11:02 pm 

Not a scope, but I usually prefer my Simpson 260 over the several DMMs I have except for precision measurements

Also I’d never put that kind of time into a Telequipment scope. They are decent, but a 465 can run rings around it for a lot less effort. And for no labor. Your time into that scope probably exceeds the cost of a brand new digital lol

Last edited by Barry H Bennett on Sep Sat 25, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 11:04 pm 

Cool.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:09 pm 

I use a D54 for audio work and for checking if capacitors exhibit noise pickup. It's also very easy to maintain..!

I've had it for years...!

73...Jordan VE6ZT

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 4:58 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
....... Your time into that scope probably exceeds the cost of a brand new digital lol

I've never understood the idea that time has some inherent value. What is the monetary value of an hour spent on a hobby? Is it the same as what your professional time is or was billed? Or does it have no monetary value? I tend toward the latter. My time on a hobby has value only in the satisfaction of accomplishing some task I set out to do, and even if I'm unsuccessful I may learn something and that's a reward of it's own. Hobby time has no price.

RRM

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 5:07 am 

I agree. In fact, hobby time is very valuable in its ability to push aside practical concerns, lower blood pressure, and more.

I picked up an impedance bridge at a swap meet yesterday. I spent almost the entire evening learning how to use it and measuring stuff. Shortly I will take it to a swap meet and sell it. How much to ask? If I factor in my time, nobody could afford it. On the other hand, I enjoyed playing with it and seeing some of its capabilities and limitations. I got far more pleasure from this than might be evaluated by the price in dollars I paid.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 5:15 am 

Barry, can the 465 handle 50V/div without a 10X probe?

For me it's about seeing something that interests me buying it then if it isn't satisfactory restored to stock and the issues are easy to fix then I'll fix them.

Like the telequipment scope.

Line voltage variations varied the DC balance adjustment of the vertical and horizontal.

The cure a few parts to regulate the voltages.

Turned something practically useless (in my opinion more useless than a service grade scope) nto a very decent scope.

On this scope the DC balance adjustment isn't a pot you adjust from the front panel with a screwdriver. It's a procedure adjusting some internal pots when the scope gets calibrated. Thusfore the need to keep the voltages regulated as if the voltages change with the line voltage the DC balance adjustment is thrown off and has to be recalibrated.

So it was either fix it or have a shelf queen taking up what little space I have.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 11:22 am 

Tektronix 465 input specs: Input Voltage max. 500 V DC (250 VDC when DC coupled) + Peak AC or 500 Vp-p AC at < 1 kHz

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 12:00 pm 

I could get one if I had the money for one.

However at the time I saw the Telequipment and it was interesting to me so I got it.

Had I known at the time that I would need to regulate the power supplies to make the scope fully usable I might have passed, but then again I tend to collect test equipment as it is easier to justify given it's stuff I can actually use.

I've got 5 solid state scopes. Four work one does not.
I've also got 10 tube scopes and all but one work with the one being spare parts for another.

I have a Phillips single channel 10MHz scope that has a smaller screen and has slower phosphor which makes it very good for viewing very low frequency waveforms. I also have a DuMont 304H scope with a 5ADP2 which is also good for viewing low frequency waveforms given the longer decay rate of the P2 phosphor. Both however need some work before they are fully usable.

One thing I've noticed about scopes is some do some things better than others. I've seen instances at work where one scope wouldn't trigger on a particular waveform, but another model of scope will.

Some scopes may also display a waveform better than other scopes.