Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 6:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnavox Collaro tonearm
PostPosted: Jan Thu 03, 2019 8:25 pm 

Hi, my name is Nathan, I just joined the group today. I have a vintage Magnavox console stereo/phonograph with a Collaro player. It appears to be early, perhaps 1950's. The tone arm tracks very heavy with no way to adjust the pressure applied from the needle to the record. I got this unit in parts, so I'm sure there once WAS a way to adjust the pressure. I have a spring and a couple screws among a bag of unused parts. I'm betting those parts are used for this purpose but I cant figure out how they should be installed!
Ill attach pictures of the parts remaining, the tone arm and the shaft the tone arm mounts to. I've seen later model Collaro tables in which the spring goes from tone arm to mounting stud, but on this table, I don't see how the spring would attach. I'm also confused as to how such a spring could be adjusted. In another attached picture I've numbered three holes on the tone arm. #1 simply mounts the heavy weight to the arm, I think hole #2 should have a screw that adjusts pressure, and #3 is another screw that adjusts how low the arm goes. There is currently no screw or adjustment in hole #2.
Does anyone have a picture of this unit showing how it's suppose to be? I've very confused. Sorry if I've made you confused as well!
Attachment:
turntable1.jpg
turntable1.jpg [ 32.55 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]

Attachments:
turntable2.jpg
turntable2.jpg [ 27.81 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]

Post subject: Re: Magnavox Collaro tonearm
PostPosted: Jan Fri 04, 2019 4:16 am 

the arm is counterbalanced by the weight at the very back of the tonearm.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 04, 2019 3:33 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
Provide the model number of the changer, may be under mat, or bottom of changer. May can provide you with a parts breakdown list. And you do have a breakdown! :P Did you tear this changer down all by yourself or read some nut's advice from youtube?

Bill J.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 04, 2019 7:49 pm 

Thanks for the assistance! The phonograph has a label that says: Model F-200
Serial number 25322. I did the take down my self without guidance or a schematic. I kind or reverse engendered it. Since posing I’ve attached the spring in a way that kind of made sense and am getting about 3 grams of tracking force. It sounds good but I’d still like to know how it was meant to be done!

PostPosted: Jan Sat 05, 2019 2:02 am 

There are two x-ref for F200. You have suffix? I can link F200E later tonight. Tomorrow will get F200C.

Bill J

PostPosted: Jan Mon 07, 2019 5:00 pm 

Well Nathan, things got lost someplace. Below are links. When you get a chance you ought to post your numbers of end item, changer, amp, etc,. This site is a good searchable one and others can benefit.

Bill J.

https://app.box.com/s/xfa4167k9bmn3qdhdhp91bxy3od7fdk6

https://app.box.com/s/n0yfc6nqi8sfptwgtmla9sgtggh7pzez

PostPosted: Jan Wed 09, 2019 1:20 am 

Thanks everyone. I’ve Been away on business but will reply on Thursday with the extra info.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 10, 2019 9:57 pm 

Thanks for the patience everyone. The turntable is clearly marked Model F-200 with no end letters. Could be the earliest version? It came from a Magnavox console CP271
Thank you for posting the manuals. My table looks a little different. The arm that holds the records does not go over the center post and the tonearm looks a bit different. Still, it's similar for sure and has been a help.

Attachments:
model tag table.jpg
model tag table.jpg [ 55.96 KiB | Viewed 275 times ]
model tag console.jpg
model tag console.jpg [ 18.27 KiB | Viewed 275 times ]