Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Thu 25, 2019 4:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Old phonograph playing/reject cycle/New Question
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 2:18 pm 

On this customer's 1948 Philco radio/record player, I have a question about its operation. In the instructions where the operation of the phono is described, no where does it say that it will shut off when it it finishes playing a record. Right now, if you put a record on top of the spindle, it will drop the record, the tone arm comes over and lands on the edge and it plays. When it gets to the end, it lifts the tone and it returns and then plays the record again. And again. Is this correct? No shut off? In MANUAL position, you have to manually lift tone arm on to record and then at end of play there's no reject and tone arm stays in the middle until you lift it off, again is this correct?

Last edited by DKinYORKpa on Feb Sun 10, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Old phonograph playing/reject cycle
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 3:39 pm 

I just fixed a '46 Philco 78rpm phono/radio combo. There is no provision for auto shut-off after the last record is played. There is an Auto/Manual switch and on/off switch on the phono..So--I'm going to say from previous experience on other Philco's of this era, there is probably no auto shut-off on yours also.

Post subject: Re: Old phonograph playing/reject cycle/NEW QUESTION
PostPosted: Feb Sun 10, 2019 4:26 pm 

That's what it looked like but I wanted to hear someone say it..........New question: After thoroughly looking over the parts drawings, I see nothing that locks the spindle in its hole. which means that when you remove a record, it tends to come along with the record. Am I missing something?

Post subject: Re: Old phonograph playing/reject cycle/New Question
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 1:21 pm 

Some had slotted shafts that go right down to the base where a C clip would lock it in. The rest only had a little bump it pops over to keep it in. They wore down over the years and yes, they pop out when pulling a record off.
I am not sure how you would fix it but you could try bending the bump clip or lubing the ball if it uses one which I don't think it does.

:)