Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Wed 24, 2019 5:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeburg DS-100
PostPosted: Apr Sat 13, 2019 6:25 am 

Just bought a Seeburg DS-100 jukebox and I have a quick question for the Seeburg folks. The Jukebox has a TSU7 Code A that looks original but had a TSA4 Code D amp floating around loose in the cabinet, wires everywhere. The previous owner swears it was working when they left Kansas but in the transport to Dallas the TSA4 bounced around and everything was disconnected.

My question is will the TSA4 transistorized amp work with the TSU7 in that jukebox? If so, how would I wire it?

Looked online for the original SHFA5 amp that came with the DS-100 but none are available.

Thanks for any help regarding.

Rudy

Post subject: Re: Seeburg DS-100
PostPosted: Apr Sat 13, 2019 6:41 am 

According to Bill Bickers the SHFA-3, SHFA-4, SHFA-5 will interchange, but 5 is the only amp with a connector for the side speakers found on the DS.
If you don't have the ear speakers that wouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Apr Sun 14, 2019 9:54 pm 

Update on the DS-100. I finished connecting the amp and the stepper and it sounds great while playing record. Next issue. The arm that comes from underneath the record that pushes it into place to played is much too slow. I disconnected it from underneath and sprayed it with carb cleaner to loosen it up. That worked fine. A first it was very tight but moved easily after cleaning. Put it all back together and it basically did the same thing. Seems the cam that engages the arm has a spring attached to it deep inside the mechanism. There must either be old grease on and around the spring or the spring is no longer strong enough to move the cam and arm quickly enough. All other aspects seem to be working with good timing on the jukebox.

Ideas on how to fix this without taking the entire chassis apart? I am so close to this working...yet so far.

Thanks,
Rudy

PostPosted: Apr Mon 15, 2019 2:18 am 

After nearly 60 years thing get gummed up, the grease in the pivot of the loading arm is probably petrified by now.

I've redone three Seeburgs now and the least I did was take the mechanism off the base and wash it with Brake Cleaner and relube it, on the most extensive rebuild, I took it apart down to the last screw, cleaned everything and put it together with fresh grease and oil.

You may be able to get away with just some oil for now, Get a Zoom Spout Oilier and some grease from the hardware Store and lube everything that needs lubing, oil on rotating parts, grease on the sliding bits and gears (as a general rule).

I'm not sure if the DS has a lubrication chart attached somewhere or not, but you should be able to find one online somewhere, most Seeburgs are similar so most any manual will do for lube purposes.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 15, 2019 2:35 am 

Thanks Eric!

PostPosted: Apr Mon 15, 2019 6:02 pm 

Hey Eric,

One last question. I was able to get the arm moving correctly and the record now loads right into place. Question is the odds are playing correctly but the evens don't because the tone arm with the needle doesn't shift over to the right to play the even side. So it essentially plays the odd side again but backwards. What should I look at?

Thanks!
Rudy

PostPosted: Apr Thu 18, 2019 4:59 am 

Just a guess but probably a gummed up slide on the tone arm carriage. It's pushed back and forth by a camshaft, it's probably stuck in one position.