Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Mon 24, 2020 6:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Why do it?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 06, 2020 5:36 pm 

I am in a crisis of collection.
I have phonographs that I have restored and other things as well. I just finished restoring an 1885 Wilcox and Gibbs treadle sewing machine to working order. We had to move furniture to make room for it! Now in my garage I have a 1920s Pooley flat top phonograph; the one with the phonograph on one side and the record shelves on the other. I inherited it from my father-in-law‘s garage. It was on its way to the dump when I pulled it out. I have all the pieces. I can fix it up like it was new. But why? I have no place to put it. Can’t sell it. I see other unrestored Pooley machines selling for about $50. I’m guessing antique phonograph restoration, as much as it is joy to do, is not a particularly good choice for trying to generate retirement income when that day comes, ... soon. Maybe a museum would want it? But then again, it’s an “off” brand. Maybe the best thing to do would be to sell it off for parts, and be done with it.

Post subject: Re: Why do it?
PostPosted: Feb Fri 07, 2020 3:00 am 

As has been said in numerous threads here on ARF, restoring things to sell won't make you much, if any, money. We do it for the fun of it.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 07, 2020 7:14 pm 

As with any other brand, certain Pooley phonographs are worth a lot more than $50. If you could post a picture, it would help to opine whether it is worth your options. Cheers, Russie

PostPosted: Feb Fri 07, 2020 10:02 pm 

Wasn't Pooley the cabinetmaker for Victor?

-David

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 7:11 am 

It sounds like we're in the same boat and, here lately, I've been trying to get rid of some excess stuff. Sometimes, I do OK; but, more times than not, I'm doing good to break even and I often lose money. Like others have said....if you're planning on making big bucks off of old radios and record players, you're probably going to be in for a rude awakening. As far as record players, records are a hot item right now; but, the problem is that there is too much cheap modern Chinese junk on the market and there are people who will buy the $69 Crosley Cruiser. However, those same people won't give a second look to something old that is actually better. I wish I could change that mentality; but, I don't see it happening.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 8:05 am 

The hobby aspect is this;
Jim Mueller wrote:
We do it for the fun of it.

And this;
radiotvnut wrote:
Sometimes, I do OK; but, more times than not, I'm doing good to break even and I often lose money.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 15, 2020 7:44 am 

Quote:
there are people who will buy the $69 Crosley Cruiser. However, those same people won't give a second look to something old that is actually better.

Most of them don't even know that it is possible to get old stuff. When they see a TV show where they find something old and it is worth a lot of money, they count it as a lucky find. They have no idea that vintage items are readily available at not inflated prices.