Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Sun 26, 2021 10:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA Victor VLT49LS electrical/restoration help
PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 8:32 pm 

Hello everyone,

My name is Kyle and I was hoping to get some advice about getting my console up and running properly. As the title says it is a RCA Victor VLT49S console. I've had this thing around for a few years. I picked it up for cheap at an auction because I've always wanted a console player like my grandfathers. It appears to be in really nice condition and untouched inside. It always "kinda" worked. The radio works really well, the record changer seems to work properly. These are the concerns/thing I need to fix:

-Sound only from the left speaker nothing from the right
-Loud humming which I'm assuming is from the power supply but not positive
-Need to put a little pressure on the selector switch left or right to fully get the selection, I'm thinking a cleaning with deoxit would help there maybe

I'm completely comfortable with replacing electronic components, soldering and wiring and such. But just not too sure of where to start with repairs/restoring. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments:
RCA Victor VLT49S - Imgur (1).jpg
RCA Victor VLT49S - Imgur (1).jpg [ 451.07 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]
RCA Victor VLT49S - Imgur.jpg
RCA Victor VLT49S - Imgur.jpg [ 583.34 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]

Post subject: Re: RCA Victor VLT49LS electrical/restoration help
PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 2:09 pm 

PM sent.

Hotwax

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 11:09 pm 

A Little Update, I got some replacement capacitors for the power supply. One of the originals was definitely bad as it had leakage at one of the terminals. I also got a new power cord as I'm really not a fan of the thin two prong variety it has. Which leads me to another question:

I assume since the original cable isn't keyed for line/neutral that it will not matter which way I hook it up with the new one. But I want to be sure. So when installing a new power cable will it matter where I connect line and neutral or does it not matter?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 1:58 am 

Having a power transformer, it probably doesn't really matter. But I would hook the "hot" lead to the two yellow wires going to the power switches, and the "neutral" lead to the fuse connection that has C505 going to chassis ground.

Attachments:
RCA VLT 49 001.jpg
RCA VLT 49 001.jpg [ 671.54 KiB | Viewed 159 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 1:57 am 

rcadanny wrote:
Having a power transformer, it probably doesn't really matter. But I would hook the "hot" lead to the two yellow wires going to the power switches, and the "neutral" lead to the fuse connection that has C505 going to chassis ground.

Very Good, Thanks for the help!