Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Fri 21, 2022 12:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I am the new owner of a Seeburg Q160
PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2022 4:45 pm 

I just purchased a Seeburg Q160. I pick it up on Monday. Is it OK for me to place it on its back in my truck for the ride home? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Post subject: Re: I am the new owner of a Seeburg Q160
PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2022 8:46 pm 

I wouldn't do it.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2022 9:23 pm 

I hauled my Q100 home (only a few miles) on it's back because I had no other option, it's not ideal by any means.

Make sure there are no records in it, tighten the shipping nuts on the carriage base so it doesn't bounce around and break the dome glass, Lock or strap the lid so it doesn't flop open, make sure there's nothing loose in the bottom compartment and that the door is securely locked.

Lay it down very gently and drive carefully over bumps. I would pull the selection playing indicator bar off too, it just pops off.

Whatever you do don't haul it on it's side, that puts all the weight of the changer on the teeth of the pinion gear which can break it.

It's not hard to remove the guts from one of these, unplug some cables, remove a couple pins and slide it out, The Amplifier & receiver door is also easy to remove once the cables are unplugged. It makes it considerably easier to handle with all that weight removed.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2022 10:41 pm 

The mechanism on most Seeburg jukes should slide out the front or back. I've always been told that damage can occur to the mech if still in the juke when put on its back. The HF100Rs I have moved I always take out the mech before putting them on their backs.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 12:37 am 

Thanks to you both. I am going to try to figure out a way to keep it upright. I don't pick it up until next Wednesday, so I have time to ponder.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 1:57 am 

If it's like my DS160 which I think it is, it was designed to be transported on its back and even has support rails built into the back of the cabinet for the purpose. But it MUST be prepared properly. The mechanism must be secured to the baseplate using a special long screw to keep it from sliding left and right which would damage the gears, and the mechanism must be tightened down on a pair of small wooden blocks between it and the baseplate. Prepared like this the mechanism will be firmly secured and the machine can be transported safely on its back. It was intended to be moved in a station wagon.

-David

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 4:31 am 

Eric H wrote:
It's not hard to remove the guts from one of these, unplug some cables, remove a couple pins and slide it out, The Amplifier & receiver door is also easy to remove once the cables are unplugged. It makes it considerably easier to handle with all that weight removed.

If I were to remove the amp/back door of the unit to reduce weight, what tools would I need? Socket set and regular/phillips screwdrivers? Is it just unplugging cables and pins? Here is a photo of the back.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 5:16 am 

Sigh...I had a big, long, detailed reply typed up, but it disappeared when I hit send...

Yes, you can remove the back door, and I recommend it. Simply unplug all cables. You will sometimes need a flat screwdriver to disconnect the cabinet speakers if external speakers were wired in as well, but otherwise, no tools. The door can be lifted off its hinge pins and taken to your vehicle separate from the cabinet. It would be wise to remove the tubes and store them in a small box, those 6973's are pricy these days...

I also strongly recommend removing the mechanism if you are going to transport the CABINET on its back. Remove the records first, if any are present. You will need a small (I think 1/4") hex nutdriver to take the screws out of the upper cabinet back door so you can lift it up (it is hinged along the top) and extract the mechanism from the back. There should be a little strap along the bottom edge of the upper door to hold it up out of the way while you work. Pull the cables up into the top cabinet, pull the two retaining pins out of the slide rails (sometimes they are missing...) and slide the mech out the back. It may be better to have a helper for this, but I have done it alone. Lock the front glass "dome" before transporting, so it doesn't bounce when going over bumps.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 5:32 am 

It looks like your selection receiver has a stepper unit (the brown box on the top left), which is necessary if you want to have a wall-box (but those 160-play wall-boxes are scarce...), so that's a bonus.

It also looks like you are missing one of the 12" speakers (maybe both, can't see the other one), see if your seller still has it. Replacement speakers (or "upgrades") are almost always unsatisfactory.

Clean all the loose junk out before transporting, especially if you transport the cabinet laying down.

Also...these were NOT designed to transport on their back, you will find no mention or instructions for laying them down in Seeburg literature. Those rails on the back are to space the unit away from walls to allow ventilation. If you do transport it intact, in the upright position, make sure you tighten down the shipping bolts so the suspension springs are fully compressed. Lock the back door so it doesn't swing open on the journey.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 5:59 am 

Bob E. wrote:
I also strongly recommend removing the mechanism if you are going to transport the CABINET on its back.

This is my first jukebox. Am I correct in thinking "the mechanism" is the part that takes and keeps track of coins?

Quote:
It looks like your selection receiver has a stepper unit (the brown box on the top left), which is necessary if you want to have a wall-box (but those 160-play wall-boxes are scarce...), so that's a bonus.

What is the function of a wall box?

Quote:
It also looks like you are missing one of the 12" speakers (maybe both, can't see the other one), see if your seller still has it. Replacement speakers (or "upgrades") are almost always unsatisfactory.

It is missing the two speakers on the sides. There is one present in the center. The seller does not have them. :(

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. I will post back as I have more questions.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 6:51 am 

The wall-box lets you order up tunes without leaving your soda fountain booth!

Attachment:
s732389556228371326_p272_i1_w2340.jpeg
s732389556228371326_p272_i1_w2340.jpeg [ 641.88 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

The mechanism (or "mech") is the dolled-up machinery up top, behind the glass...holds the records in a rack, and when ordered by the selection receiver, rolls the carriage back and forth and selects the desired record and plays it...either side!

Attachment:
6ac6062e17354713bebe743942710abd.jpg
6ac6062e17354713bebe743942710abd.jpg [ 107.59 KiB | Viewed 280 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 9:03 am 

Judging by the amount of dirt on the amp & receiver I would bet they are original and untouched, if that's the case they will need to be rebuilt.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 3:24 pm 

Eric H wrote:
Judging by the amount of dirt on the amp & receiver I would bet they are original and untouched, if that's the case they will need to be rebuilt.

That is the plan. Recap. I have a service manual ordered.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 5:19 pm 

I went through a Seeburg 222 electronics and mechanism back in 2020 for a client. I didn't fix up any of the cabinet except clean it up a bit. On a Seeburg, at least, all the mechanical stuff is in the "mechanism" except for the coin handling things.

The 222 was the first Seeburg stereo jukebox and may have been the first stereo unit from anyone.
I thought I may have documented the story here but I guess not. When you do something for a client you want to do it as fast as possible, you shouldn't take a lot of time posting about it, it still took many months.
Jukebox companies changed the cabinet every year but they did not change the internal parts that much from year to year.

Do yourself a big favor, take lots of pictures of the wiring and everything before you disconnect it or disassemble it. Labeling things is a good idea also.
The manual will only show some things. The manual is not intended for a newbie to working on a jukebox, it is more of a reference for a professional jukebox technician who has has some training.

I would strongly suggest that you remove the two chassis from the back door to reduce the weight, each one is heavy and bulky. Unplug the cables first. The large black rectangular plugs have spring locks on the sides that have to be pressed in to release. There are a couple of screws at the top and bottom of the door that you can loosen and slide the chassis a little sideways and slip the head of the screws out from the keyhole shaped holes.
The mechanism should slide out (probably from the back) on rails, but there probably are locking pins (about 1/4 inch diameter and several inches long) inserted into the rails. The pins pull out from one side of the rails.There may be rubber grommets and thin pieces of wood that have to be removed from holes in the deck that the mechanism sits on before you can get the cable plugs from below through the holes.
The mechanism itself is fairly heavy.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 5:45 pm 

You might find the video series (87 parts!) about a AY100U Seeburg restoration at least entertaining. After a while I couldn't stand is ramblings. I don't think he made these videos for anyone else's enjoyment.
Even though his attitude is that he knows it all, he still figures things out by trail and error.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L09_DFArwc

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 6:06 pm 

While I'm thinking about it, here is another bit of information.
http://www.jukebox-world.de/Forum/Archi ... eburgQ.htm

By the way, replacement needles (styli) ,there are two, on all these era Seeburgs, cost a crazy amount!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 7:55 pm 

Notimetolooz wrote:
I would strongly suggest that you remove the two chassis from the back door to reduce the weight, each one is heavy and bulky. Unplug the cables first. The large black rectangular plugs have spring locks on the sides that have to be pressed in to release. There are a couple of screws at the top and bottom of the door that you can loosen and slide the chassis a little sideways and slip the head of the screws out from the keyhole shaped holes.

Am I removing the chassis from the back dorr, or am I removing the entire back door with everything attached (cables unplugged)? I do plan to remove the tubes prior to doing anything.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 14, 2022 9:08 pm 

rundownrob wrote:
Notimetolooz wrote:

Am I removing the chassis from the back dorr, or am I removing the entire back door with everything attached (cables unplugged)? I do plan to remove the tubes prior to doing anything.

There are not that many cables going between the two chassis on the door. If you do not remove the chassis from the door first the door will be very heavy. You can remove the door afterwards but it really isn't that heavy and also to remove the door you have to lift it up a bit to get it off the lower hinge pin, that would be extra difficult if the chassis were still on it.
Seeburg, at least at this time, did a good job in that the plugs are mostly all different (number of pins, connector size and type) so that they cannot be plugged into the wrong spot, but it is a good idea to take pictures, take notes and label things. I worked on a later Seeburg where they used some colored (Molex) connectors but the color had faded.
If I remember right, the guy in that video had a jukebox where the door hinges were damaged. I would advise you to start watching those videos before you pick the jukebox up.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 15, 2022 12:03 am 

Thanks Tim. I do plan to take photos. Below are some other photos from the auction site. I did inspect it in person before bidding. The photo of the model tag on the back also has an asset tag from the Torrance Unified School District. I work at the district office. This unit was in one of our middle schools in the 70's and 80's. I don't think it was touched after the collector that bought it from us put it into storage.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 15, 2022 2:26 am 

The 222 that I worked on was from 1958-1959.
Yours is from 1960 and the one in that video series is from 1961.
This is the 222.
Attachment:
Seeburg222E1.jpg
Seeburg222E1.jpg [ 231.04 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]

As the years went by the mechanism were made less and less visible. The 222 showed the mechanism very well.
Attachment:
AfterMoveRiverfrontE1.jpg
AfterMoveRiverfrontE1.jpg [ 287.12 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]

Be aware that things like plastic become brittle with age. Rubber parts become hard. Lubrication becomes stiff and dirty.
There are silver tipped contact plungers in Seeburgs that wear down with use. There are many non-enclosed electrical switches
who's contacts get dirty and may need adjusting on the mechanism.
When jukeboxes are in use the manual says that they should be oiled about every six months.

Have fun re-capping the amplifier. It is a monster. Here you see about one half of the underside of the chassis.
Attachment:
SeeburgAmpBefE1.jpg
SeeburgAmpBefE1.jpg [ 424.72 KiB | Viewed 207 times ]

It only took me about 6 months to do this jukebox. Ha-ha!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next