Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Mon 23, 2022 3:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1911(ish) Grafonola Mignon Grafonola
PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2022 9:57 am 

We just picked up a free-cycle item from a neighbor, and I assumed it was just a nice solid wood cabinet and I needed a strong piece to anchor the corner of a room. This piece is stunning, mint condition physically, but needs a bit of loving for the inner parts. Let me preface this by saying I have never actually SEEN a record player, phonograph or similar in real life - I know NOTHING. Had to facetime my 90 year old Grandmother to have her explain the technology to me, for once! I know for sure I have a slightly warped turntable - unclear if its the felt or the actual turntable itself. I am also having a skipping issue, and you sort of have to apply a smidge of pressure to the arm to keep it from skipping. Is there someone I could try to find semi-local to me (major world-wide urban area in the US so no worries on finding someone) who could help me find parts for this? I don't know if my standard record store is going to have the expertise here, but I truly am starting my knowledge base from scratch. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: 1911(ish) Grafonola Mignon Grafonola
PostPosted: May Fri 13, 2022 6:52 pm 

I am not a mechanical phono expert...

What I can say is that:

The steel needles have to be replaced after every play. Same for cactus thorn needles.
Some phono parts were made of "pot" metal and expand and bind after all these years, reproductions can be found.
The spring mechanism should be properly cleaned and re-lubricated. I would strongly urge professional care as the spring is very dangerous if disassembled.
The reproducer will likely need attention as it has rubber parts and gaskets. All of which have hardened and dramatically change the tone of the machine.
Though the machine was made during the time of acoustical recording it will play electrically recorded discs when the reproducer is in good condition and sound amazingly good.
There are other fine points to acoustical phonos but not being an enthusiast that is about all I know...

GL

Chas

Post subject: Re: 1911(ish) Grafonola Mignon Grafonola
PostPosted: May Sat 14, 2022 5:56 am 

The entire motor needs to be gone through, as does the reproducer and the other works, much like Chas mentioned. If it's a true Mignon, it's an early 1910s machine that's not seen very often.

There's a forum out there dedicated to acoustic phonographs. You'll find it at: [url]forum.talkingmachine.info[/url]. Post some pictures there along with your location and you should be able to get some guidance.

PM me for my email address