Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 29, 2022 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Seeburg R Carriage Sticking
PostPosted: Sep Thu 22, 2022 10:24 pm 

Recently started having an issue with my HF100 R. When the carriage reaches the end of travel instead of reversing it will get stuck and not reverse. Turning the power off then back on it unsticks but then gets stuck on the opposite side.

I looked in my troubleshooting manual but didn't see this issue. Any ideas where to start?

Post subject: Re: Seeburg R Carriage Sticking
PostPosted: Sep Thu 22, 2022 11:37 pm 

Do you have the entire service manual?
That would be a good thing to have.

You might look here.
https://jukeboxaddicts.proboards.com/
Maybe someone had a similar problem with a similar model. Models do not usually change greatly year to year.
Ron Rich who ran this site passed away recently. He was the main authority on most jukeboxes.
He was a bit demanding, he wouldn't help you unless you used the correct terms for things which usually meant that you better have read the manual.
For instance, when you say "stuck" to you mean the motor is running and it isn't moving or do you mean nothing is running?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 22, 2022 11:56 pm 

I will probably post something over there as well. Sorry to hear about Ron. He helped with a few issues I've had over the years.

Yes I have the Seeburg factory manuals. Not much I can find about this issue though.

What I can see is the carriage will go to the end of travel, the reverse switch then trips however the motor continues to spin in the same direction. Only turning off the main power switch will make the motor spin in the opposite direction. Reverse switch contacts cleaned and look in good shape. Looking at the reverse switch adjustment now in the manual

PostPosted: Sep Fri 23, 2022 12:24 am 

I think I may have found the problem. Looks like one of the ends of the reverse switch spring is broken off. I bet that switch has to have a certain actuation force otherwise the switch doesn't make/break the contacts at the right time and the motor doesn't reverse.

If I manually push the contact bar directly either direction the motor switches direction.

Will try to get a new spring and report back. Hopefully not have to get an entire new switch

Attachments:
20220922_191451.jpg
20220922_191451.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 265 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Fri 23, 2022 3:16 am 

Yep, that would do it.
I think that type of switch is called an over-center switch, it has be either completely one way or the other, will not stay anywhere between.
Most likely you will need to find a used switch and perhaps transfer the spring. I doubt you will find it separately. At least that way you will not need to re-connect the wires to a new switch.
There are so many parts and wires that manual cannot cover every failure.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 23, 2022 4:40 pm 

Beware of the springs, they are not all the same, some like the R and earlier have a four blade switch and a spring from a later model might not have enough snap, despite looking identical.

I bought a reproduction, but I can't remember from where, possibly A-1 Jukebox, who is now part of Victory Glass.

They are also the devil to install, be careful of the fragile Phenolic link between contacts, it's easily broken.

There are always reversing switches on ebay, but they are mostly from newer models, so choose carefully.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 23, 2022 7:49 pm 

Thanks for the tip

Are there any good sources for juke parts now? A1 isn't taking orders. Victory is looking for a spring. I'll probably order one from them as I need a couple other items.

In the meantime thought I would try making one. Found a small compression spring at the hardware store with the same size wire 0.02" diameter. Took a bit of bending with pliers but was able to make something near the original. Seems to be working for the moment!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 23, 2022 10:56 pm 

Oh, you want to know my super secret places to get parts eh. Ha-Ha! Just kidding.
The best U.S. source for lots of parts is Victory, however they have a pretty high minimum order.
Victory got a new owner and moved to another state this year.

Here is another U.S. source for a few things.
https://www.needles4jukeboxes.com/

There is JukeboxUSA, (A-1 jukebox and Nostalgia) but they haven't taken orders for years.

Of course there is always ebay for used parts.

I've used this place in Germany. They do shut down for a little while several times a year for holidays or something. It is a good source of info also (archives).
https://www.jukebox-world.de/en/Jukebox-Parts-USA-oxid/

Lastly a place in the Netherlands I've used at least once.
https://www.jukeboxparts.nl/en/

Last edited by Notimetolooz on Sep Mon 26, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 26, 2022 2:31 am 

crm114 wrote:
Thanks for the tip

Are there any good sources for juke parts now? A1 isn't taking orders. Victory is looking for a spring. I'll probably order one from them as I need a couple other items.

eBay for one. If you are on Facebook there's a guy named Mike Florio who has nearly any used part you could need.