Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 2:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Astatic 89T (RCA 45 Player) revisited
PostPosted: May Sun 26, 2019 12:14 am 

I have been working on most of the 45s since new. That's because I am a very old fart who started back in the early 50s.
I have finally given up on trying to find high output cartridges to use in my restorations. I now use anything I like. The Chau-Densi, pardon my spelling if this is'n't the correct spelling is the most used in my shop. I now install a small mono pre amplifier based on a NE5532 and powered with an appropriate resistor and a 1 watt 12volt Zener diode from the existing power supply. This allows me to use anything up to a magnetic cartridge with just a turn on the gain pot on the pre amplifier. I also like to use Chris Cuffs 470k, .001 filter across input to the amp. It basically is a tone adjust that filters out the really irritating high trebles the cartridges now days are capable of producing. I know a lot of you don't have the skills to attempt such a modification, but it sure stops all the conversation about what cartridge to use if you can learn.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 81 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5