Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 12:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Tue 21, 2010 11:53 pm 

bastardbus wrote:
If 78 or any one speed is working fine but the others are not (I will be honest I did not read the entire thread) then yes the motor should definitely be fine. Take a peak up under at the motor and armature when it is on in 78 and all the other speeds. Is it spinning at the same speed for each turntable setting? If so it ain't the motor it is in the turrets.

We are all cheapskates and try to get buy using these old wheels and turrets by reconditioning them with laquer thinner or sanding them and you are right and more then likely he should replace all the turrets and idler wheel. Nothing like fresh new rubber on there.

If the motor is serviced properly, and it has new turrets and a new idler, the motor should be right on speed on all four speeds. The problem is, it costs $18 a turret and $25 for that GI idler, plus shipping. That's why we are cheapskates. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 22, 2010 12:06 am 

Todd, for some strange reason this problem that Tony is experiencing occurs from time to time on the 33rpm speed. I think those I had doing what his is doing in the past had either (1) oil on the rubber of the turret; or (2) the idler was a bit hard and needed replacement.

What is strange here is that one idler might not work right on a changer while another older one might work quite well. I have come to the conclusion that certain idlers and 33rpm turrets simply don't like each other. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 22, 2010 3:13 am 

moses_007 wrote:
Todd, for some strange reason this problem that Tony is experiencing occurs from time to time on the 33rpm speed. I think those I had doing what his is doing in the past had either (1) oil on the rubber of the turret; or (2) the idler was a bit hard and needed replacement.

What is strange here is that one idler might not work right on a changer while another older one might work quite well. I have come to the conclusion that certain idlers and 33rpm turrets simply don't like each other. :lol:

LOL...yeah I agree with ya there.

What I always find amazing is on a rare occasion you will service a player go to play it and she is fine. Next day she is slipping like crazy and you check the turret assembly and they are just full of oil on the wheels, like someone snuck in over night and just coated em with oil...LOL. It is crazy and only happens once in a while. I think sometimes something gets over oiled and just flings the oil all over. I am very sparse with the oil but funny how it still happens on occasion.

Being a car Vintage auto guy we generously oil and grease things that need it and I find it amazing those little bare bushings of the idler and turrets spin that fast under a fair load for so many hours with nothing but a wiping of oil on them...just amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Wed 22, 2010 3:18 am 

Todd, about a month ago the RP205 changer on my SHF-4 wouldn't hardly turn at 33rpm. I had serviced this changer when I got the console almost a year ago, and it took that long for the oil to work its way up the motor shaft and onto the turret. That's what it was...I cleaned the turret and she plays just fine right now.

Post subject: Re: RCA RP-205 Playing Slow
PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2019 4:53 pm 

the rubber on the main wheel if you remove it you can fit a rubber o ring and turntable works good and you will save money

Post subject: Re: RCA RP-205 Playing Slow
PostPosted: May Thu 30, 2019 2:42 pm 

Quote:
the rubber on the main wheel if you remove it you can fit a rubber o ring and turntable works good and you will save money

Umm...this topic was from 8 years ago. Good suggestion, but a little late perhaps. :wink:

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 46 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3