Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sat 17, 2019 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Portable player information request
PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2019 11:57 pm 

Goodness, that's an answer and a half!

You don't happen to do this sort of work on commission, do you? I must confess my soldering skills leave a lot to be desired; I can do a rough, large-ish job (like the plug-and-socket I rigged up to the antenna I strung from my second story window to my radio, so I can unplug it and close the window w/o drilling a hole in the wall), but once it gets beyond that I'm in "dangerous territory..."

Not to be one of those "lazy" people who don't try things on their own, but I AM highly aware of my own skill level (or lack, as the case may be). Some things should be left to experts... If this is something you can/are willing to do, I'm happy to chat further in a private message.

ndiamone wrote:
This is why you need one of the reverse-Lambda shaped nylon shank sapphire gramophone styli to put in there.

That 160-180-ish grams that you start off with will be reduced by the nylon shank down by about 2/3rds, so you will end up with about 50-60 grams on the record itself which converts out to a couple ounces instead of the pound-ish weight you get the way it is. Not only will the sound be considerably less harsh than you get with steel or osmium - you can get a couple hundred even up to 1,000 sides out of each one before you have to change it - and it will save wear on the records as well.

Do you know of a reputable dealer that would stock these styli? You mentioned them before and they piqued my interest; I did a Google search and it directed me back to this very thread! I have loads of steel needles but the idea of taking weight (and thus wear) off the records is compelling. I want to play these records as they were intended, with the players I have, so making the records last longer is something I'm very interested in.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mar Sat 30, 2019 4:58 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
WrongCentury wrote:
You don't happen to do this sort of work on commission, do you?
I do - but like every other old fat and handicapped man on here - to make it worth my while I'd have to charge ``studio'' prices the same as everybody else. Nine times out of ten that means the repair cost exceeds the commercial resale value of the piece - like the vintage car guys and the vintage vending machine guys and etc etc etc. with only other aficionadoes with more money than repair skills to buy the resulting item.

And then you'd have to be at least somewhat local to Northern California.

If I were you - and I wanted to improve my soldering skills - that you are going to need later on anyway - to start off with - I'd go to the local electronics cable recycler and pick up all their leftover phone plugs ten for a penny bec they were still attached to a cord - and practice desoldering them.

You can also partner with your local E-Waste guy and practice desoldering all the jacks and plugs off the boards and then give him all the gear back to recycle so he doesn't lose any money.

Start off desoldering 1/4 inch mono (TS) plugs and then after you got a couple hundred load - work on those until you can rescue most of them for re-use later without having wire stuck in or pins broken off or the innards melted.

TS plugs (without the ring pictured below inbetween) are common for guitar cords and unbalanced-line lower-end mic cords - so you can build those up and sell em to the newbier-than-thou gang for half of what they pay in the store for the same thing - and the same for the TRS plugs (below) and the Cannon (XLR/balanced line) plugs and so on and so on.

Repeat with quarter-inch stereo (TRS) plugs and jacks.

Here's a wiring diagram for TRS plugs from elsewhere on the Forum:
Attachment:
Balanced TRS Connector.jpg
Balanced TRS Connector.jpg [ 47.09 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]
For creating unbalanced i e stereo (headphone) cables - tip is left, ring is right, sleeve is a single ground that serves both the left and the right signals.

Then repeat with RCAs that are smaller and then go onto eighth-inch TS or TRS plugs and so on and so on. By the time you can rescue eighth-inch TRS plugs you'll be ready to try soldering phono cartridge leads back onto their lugs.

You can also buy pre-lugged sets of four where all you have to do is thread it thru the tone arm, strip ONE end back instead of both and solder it to the RCA jacks underneath the turntable which are considerably bigger than the phono lugs.
WrongCentury wrote:
Do you know of a reputable dealer that would stock these reverse-Lambda shaped nylon shank sapphire gramophone styli?
I would start off with the various Phonograph Web Ring sites
http://hub.hobbiesncrafts.org/hub/phonograph and
http://hub.hobbiesncrafts.org/hub/1allansbestphono?rd=n
and see how you do there.

After that - one of the sites therein is the Talking Machine Forum http://forum.talkingmachine.info
and Nauck's Auction Site http://www.78rpm.com
where presumably other guys would be buying them as well since they also fit in and wear just as well with some of the early ceramic and crystal pickups with a thumbscrew stylus.

From there you should be able to branch off into wherever else you need to in order to complete your research.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2019 1:33 pm 

I'll give it a go; thank you!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2