Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 25, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trip link arm - dry, grease or oil?
PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 7:09 pm 

Ok - I know that the trip pawls on a cam wheel should be unlubricated so they are free to trip at end of side. My question is: in general, when a changer has a TRIP LINK ARM that is pushed by the tonearm towards the trip pawls on the cam wheel, should the sliding TRIP LINK ARM be dry, greased oiled? I assume it may need grease since it slides. But would the grease cause binding and prevent the trip, causing the tonearm to stay in the drywax lead out groove?

Post subject: Re: Trip link arm - dry, grease or oil?
PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 10:24 pm 

Clean the trip link and leave dry unless
specifically indicated by manufacturer.

Most changer slides should be cleaned with only
the slide forks and tonearm lift pin contact area lubed.
I use a synthetic grease that won't harden (super lube).

On all V-M's & RCA changers I have rebuilt, I always leave trip links
well cleaned & dry. Never any problems.
Hotwax

PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2019 12:35 am 

Hotwax wrote:
Clean the trip link and leave dry unless
specifically indicated by manufacturer.

Most changer slides should be cleaned with only
the slide forks and tonearm lift pin contact area lubed.
I use a synthetic grease that won't harden (super lube).

On all V-M's & RCA changers I have rebuilt, I always leave trip links
well cleaned & dry. Never any problems.
Hotwax

Thanks - what is a slide fork look like that should be lubed?

PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2019 1:04 am 

Here is a Voice of Music made V-M 1232 changer.

The slide fork is circled. Where it slides between
the two retaining bolts, needs lube along the
surface of the two tines of the "fork".
This, of course after thorough removal of
all old hardened grease.
H

Attachments:
V-M 1232 - Copy.JPG
V-M 1232 - Copy.JPG [ 164.48 KiB | Viewed 374 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2019 1:35 am 

Thanks Hotwax! Appreciate your expertise.

I have a late 60s Zenith belt drive / idler model. X960 console.

The only issue I'm having, and it just started happening, is the stylus gets "stuck" near the end and won't trip. The stylus stays in position. It's like the tonearm index lever (part ref 88) is meeting a hair more resistance than it can handle when it encounters the trip link arm (part ref 101) and the needle gets stuck.

This is not my video, but someone posted a video on YouTube 8 years ago and the sticking issue he describes is similar to what I'm experiencing.

Please this video at the 35 second mark: ==>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS0FN28H52w

A.) I removed and cleaned the top trip pawl and bottom trip pawl (part ref. number 112 and 113) on the cam (they are now dry and move freely)
B.) I cleaned the trip link arm (part ref 101).

But after taking these cleaning steps, I still have the stylus sticking issue near the end of record. I bumped up the tracking force from 2 to 3.5 grams as a test to see if that was enough to trip and it wasn't. These are supposed to track at 2 grams.

There is another video where a 2g changer owner talks about the base of his tonearm getting gummy. I tried to remove the Tone Arm Yoke and Base Assembly (part reference 90), a cylinder at the base of the tonearm, but it has two set screws holding in place that don't seem to match up with any other set screws used throughout the turntable. I went through a number of screw drill bits (and types) trying to find a fit, but couldn't find the correct size/type for the mystery set screw dimension. So I couldn't get part 90 off to clean and lube it. Not sure if that is even the issue.

I noticed the underside of my chassis facing the cam wheel has "mini guide channel extrusion" in the sheet metal for the trip link arm to slide on as it moves toward the trip pawls. I wonder if that part of the chassis underbelly should be greased or oiled. Right now I don't have any lube on the entire trip mechanism (arm and pawls).

So it seems this sticking issue (probably a lubrication related cause, but am not sure) may be a common issue that crops up with these changers. It's probably something very simple -- as everything else works fine. If I manually move the arm to the leadout groove, it trips fine.

Any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it?

PostPosted: Apr Tue 02, 2019 5:33 am 

The trip link arm should never be lubricated, and should move quite freely with no binding.

I agree that it sounds like a lubrication issue. The trip mechanism on the cam gear must be very free-moving indeed, with no resistance. The problem is that part of the trip mechanism is riveted to the cam gear, which makes cleaning underneath of it tricky. I use strips of paper soaked in alcohol to clean underneath of it.

Post subject: Trip link arm dry grease or oil
PostPosted: Apr Tue 23, 2019 8:15 pm 

Probably a petrified grease problem as mentioned...There should be a mechanical sensor that tells the player a record has dropped on the platter. For starters, that doesnt seem to be working...so the player goes into default retract the arm mode to protect the needle. If you just use one record, when you hit reject does the unit drop the record and then the arm go to rest and shut off, or stay running?