Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 22, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seeburg M-100 5U4G question
PostPosted: Apr Sat 20, 2019 5:07 am 

Hello,
Completed rebuilding the amp on the M-100 (MRA1-L6) and I also rebuilt the Selection Receiver (W5R5-L6). Unfortunately I don't have the entire manual, just the schematics. I really wanted to check the audio before I drove back out to the jukebox (90 miles) but noticed I was not getting power to the 5U4G. All other tubes are getting filament voltage. I checked the 5U4G that was with the amp and it was dead so I replaced with a good (tested) 5U4G. I still couldn't get audio. (phone audio 3.5mm to RCA into the amp). Started checking with VOM and no DC voltage. Question is does the credit unit have to be connected to the jukebox selection to send power to the 5U4G? I seem to remember that in the late 50's or 60's they started doing something similar so that it would save the 5U4G and all the heat they put out. If not, what would cause no power to the 5U4G or B+ DC? I replaced the selenium rectifier with a modem diode and it is working properly.
Any ideas are welcome! Thank you!
Rudy

Post subject: Re: Seeburg M-100 5U4G question
PostPosted: Apr Sat 20, 2019 5:15 am 

The 5U4 only lights when the machine is in play mode, this keeps the B+ turned off when in standby.
Not quite sure how they accomplish that but I suspect there's probably a way to bypass it.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 20, 2019 5:26 am 

Thanks again Eric. If you or anyone else can think up a bypass to save me a 180 mile round trip test session I would really appreciate it!

Rudy

PostPosted: Apr Tue 23, 2019 1:19 am 

Eric H wrote:
The 5U4 only lights when the machine is in play mode, this keeps the B+ turned off when in standby.
Not quite sure how they accomplish that but I suspect there's probably a way to bypass it.

The winding for the 5U4 is in the transformer on the selection receiver.They need to be plugged together in order for the amp to work.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 23, 2019 4:36 am 

I'm guessing the Play relay on the receiver has to be engaged, not really do-able with out the mechanism unless you can just wedge it closed.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 23, 2019 4:38 am 

Looking at a schematic (for a model C) it appears the transformer to the 5U4 is on the Amp side and the AC voltage comes from the receiver, guessing 115 AC so may be possible to just wire it up?

PostPosted: Apr Wed 24, 2019 3:04 pm 

Eric H wrote:
Looking at a schematic (for a model C) it appears the transformer to the 5U4 is on the Amp side and the AC voltage comes from the receiver, guessing 115 AC so may be possible to just wire it up?

Sorry, had it reversed. The 6.3 volts winding for all the amp tube heaters comes from the transformer in the selection receiver. The 5 volt winding is on the power transformer for the amp. Both amp and receiver have to be plugged together for this to work.

PostPosted: May Mon 27, 2019 4:15 am 

The power to the amplifier comes on at the same time as the mechanism motor. As was mentioned, the tube heaters are fed from the transformer on the selection receiver.

If the motor runs but the amplifier does not come on, look for a blown fuse on the amp chassis. Also, some models have a jumper in the speaker plug, which connects the center tap of the HV secondary winding of the power transformer to ground. If the speaker is unplugged, the B+ will be off.

I don't have any access to my drawings right now to give any more info, but the fuse would be the first thing to check.