Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Tue 20, 2019 4:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA RP-190 changer mechanism question
PostPosted: Apr Wed 24, 2019 2:30 pm 

I have a fully restored RP-190 45 player.

A few months ago it worked perfectly.

A couple days ago I went to use it and now the reject cam doesn't want to properly engage almost like what happens when someone touches a rubber drive wheel with their hands and doesn't clean it off and it takes enough force to where the tone arm by itself will not make it trip unless I manually move it to the trip point, whereas before it would trip fairly easily and some times would do it if you were careless and bumped the changer hard enough.

Any idea what the issue can be?

Also I know some will put some sort of bearing under the tone arm to reduce friction so that the tonearm moves more free, but I forget exactly how that's done and what bearing is used.

The issue of the friction being a bit high for a modern magnetic cartridge is the reason I stopped playing it a few months ago as I didn't have the time to do the mod, but I just had to hear my 45s again so I tried to play them.

Post subject: Re: RCA RP-190 changer mechanism question
PostPosted: Apr Wed 24, 2019 8:24 pm 

I've got the RP-168 player in my RCA 9w105 console. I think the RP-190 is very similar. Are you having issues getting the arm lift mechanism to trip at the end of the record or is the platter stalling trying to lift the arm at the end of the cycle? Mine would stall the platter, not the motor, when the old idler wheel rubber was dried out before I refurbished the rubber.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 25, 2019 12:26 am 

Its the arm lift not tripping.

The rubber just doesn't grab easily.

I'll try cleaning it first.

I had both rubber wheels redone by Gary Stork, but later on I bought a brass drive wheel with o-rings from a forum member which has worked very well.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 25, 2019 8:06 pm 

I found it takes about 6 - 8 grams of tracking force on the tone arm in order to allow the needle to follow the eject groove at the end of the 45 record. I run the Pfanstiehl 911-D7 cartridge with 0.7 mil diamond needle on my RP-168. It handles that tracking force and trips the tone arm at the end of every 45 record.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 25, 2019 9:11 pm 

6-8 grams seems excessive for any of the RCA 45 changers, they came from the factory at five grams and I have never had a problem with them even at 3.5 to 4 grams, but all of the surfaces of the tonearm shaft and pivots must be polished to a mirror like shine. I have a couple dozen of them and all are fine at four grams.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 25, 2019 10:30 pm 

I tried manually cycling it with the reject/power switch and played around with that.

I then tried a couple times to let it cycle normally and it worked three times. When I went to play another record it did the same thing.

I then thought maybe it is a lubrication issue. So I put a drop of oil on the tonearm where it moves and that seemed to work.

Once I figure out exactly how and I get the right bearing I will put it under the tonearm so it can pivot on that and have less friction as the tonearm moves.