Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 14, 2019 9:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Restored RCA 45 EY-2 has stopped resettting
PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 12:03 am 

I performed a mechanical restoration of an RCA 45 EY-2 about two years ago and the thing was working great. However, I played it for the first time in about 8 months last night and it has stopped resetting. At the start of a reset, I can see that the cam (which has a new rubber installed on it) contacts the spindle underneath the turntable and turns a little bit, but it can't find enough friction to keep the motion going and drive the reset sequence. If I turn the cam with my finger, it eventually finds enough friction to complete. The rubber on the cam is only two years old, and it's been in my air conditioned office all this time, so I don't see how it could have deteriorated this quickly, if the problem is in fact the rubber drying out and shrinking. And it's not like it starting failing slowly - it worked great last fall and won't work today.

I did notice that the spindle that drives the cam has some tiny black bits on it that must be pieces of the rubber. Could it be that that the spindle has been in contact with the cam during normal play and has ground down the rubber? Is there some compound like belt dressing that I could apply to the rubber that will help it find the right amount of friction against the spindle?

My guess is that I'll have to replace the rubber, but I'd like to figure out what happened so that I don't have to keep replacing it this often.

Any advice ya'll could provide would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
--Alex

Post subject: Re: Restored RCA 45 EY-2 has stopped resettting
PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 3:34 am 

A bit of rubber on the knurled wheel is probably nothing to worry about. Loosen the 1/4” hex head screws and move the slider bracket slightly to bring the cam closer to the knurled wheel.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 2:40 pm 

In addition to Squire's tip...Could be possible some oil has migrated to the cam wheel rubber. Try cleaning the cam rubber with some alcohol on a q-tip.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 4:28 pm 

Most likely some oil migrated onto the knurled roller or the cam tire. In either case, cleaning with isopropyl alcohol is a good idea. One other thing to consider: I was bench testing a newly restored J-2 unit (same changer as your EY-2) and it suddenly stopped tripping at the end of the record. it was functioning perfectly, then nothing. I couldn't get it to reject using the reject switch either. After exhausting every possible fix I could think of, I saw that the slider carrying the cycle cam was not completely returning to the "neutral" position at the end of a change cycle, thus preventing the cam to reset in the correct position. I removed a couple of coils from the long spring that pulls the slider back to center at the end of the cycle and that fixed it. I guess the spring tension was marginal at best when I completed the restoration and the repeated cycling during testing weakened it. Anyway, I have restored over 200 of these changers and this is the first time I have run across this situation. It was an easy fix, but tricky to diagnose.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 01, 2019 5:28 pm 

My 45J has been doing exactly the same thing and I’d also just narrowed the problem down to that spring, for what it’s worth.