Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 3:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brunswick Panatrope PR 17-8 questions
PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 11:56 pm 

Buying a Brunswick Panatrope PR 17-8 from a co-worker. It appears to be in reasonably good condition, except the power cord is missing (more on that in a bit), as are the pulls for the doors. All tubes and other parts are present, and no major wood issues.

First off, it appears that the power cord was meant to be removable: there is a pair of prongs on the back of the set that look like an extension cord could be plugged "onto" the radio and used. What would the original cord have been like?

Second, what would the original front door pulls have looked like?

I figure for $40 it's not a bad deal, and kind of a neat set. It will be my oldest radio-phono combination, by 14 years (my current oldest is a 1942 GE tabletop, which was likely one of the last radios for public consumption before wartime needs took over American manufacturing)

Post subject: Re: Brunswick Panatrope PR 17-8 questions
PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 2:51 am 

Picked up the Panatrope today. As luck would have it, the original power cord was coiled up inside the cabinet! The male plug end is missing but the end that connects to the set itself is still intact. Replica plugs are easy enough to come by, cheap.

So, now just need to find a set of knobs for the cabinet...