Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 29, 2020 3:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does this radio have any value?
PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 2:48 am 

engineer wrote:
Hotwax wrote:
That is a very nice quality vintage tube record player....
Agree, an interesting unit... for the history.
Hotwax wrote:
If you like records, having this restored will yield many years of enjoyment...
Not in my book! If you want to enjoy vinyl for years get a decent belt drive T/T, such as a Technics, with MM cartridge and diamond stylus tracking at under 2 grams.
Cheers,
Roger

Engineer,

that unit tracks at just under 2 grams. It's the Zenith Microtouch system. Properly adjusted, record wear is almost none existent. As I mentioned before, it's almost magnetic cart level quality, and even with the low power amp, sounds quite detailed

There's at least a few mm carts that are worse. Pickering on a mid 70's BSR changer comes to mind. That setup destroyed half of my records. It was my Grandmother's 1966 Airline console with a VoM and a GE tube console with a Garrard, was when all the record wear finally went away.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 5:39 pm 

rocketeer wrote:
engineer wrote:
Hotwax wrote:
If you like records, having this restored will yield many years of enjoyment...
Not in my book! If you want to enjoy vinyl for years get a decent belt drive T/T, such as a Technics, with MM cartridge and diamond stylus tracking at under 2 grams.
Cheers,
Roger

Not everyone is an audiophile or wants to spend the money to be one. Some just like to hear the music. For those people it would make a nice unit. Larry
Larry, I agree. However, my main concern was record wear. If Artcurus (above) is correct, then this unit will likely not damage records... presuming the stylus is a low-time diamond and p/u compliance high enough. The small speakers and amplifier bass roll-off will hide most TT rumble.
Regarding money, good vinyl audio is not expensive. My four "decent quality" TT's (Technics and Dual) cost me between zero and Can$60 each, plus a couple of replacement styluses (stylii?) at Can$30 each, also three new drive belts at Can$8 each. Up here (Ontario, Canada), you can get a good TT and cartridge on Canuck Audio Mart for less than Can$120... I recommend Technics belt drive TT's for good value.
Amplifiers and speakers were to hand as part of my audio hobby.
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 8:51 pm 

I have restored two different Zenith record players with the floating cartridge. One was a flip down from 63 with a single end
stereo tube amp for my 10 year old niece's Christmas year before last, and this three channel unit the OP is discussing last christmas. There was little to no rumble in either unit. The higher quality unit also used ball bearings at the base of the tone arm to reduce friction. It had an improved bearing system for the main platter bearing reminiscent of Garrard. The 6 inch filled a large sized living room too loud for conversation. I ordered the cartridge and needle from Gary for both units.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2