Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 22, 2020 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newly acquired Edison Home. Seeking info.
PostPosted: Aug Thu 01, 2019 10:10 pm 

Brought this home today, looks rough but i think i can make it work again. However I believe there is a small gear missing. The machine unwinds as soon as i can wind it, i do not think the spring is broken, i am almost certain the missing gear is the culprit. In the pictures i have attached, i believe the gear in question would've gone where the tip of my pencil is. I cannot find a clear picture online of this motor so i am unsure. Any leads on finding a new gear would help tremendously.

Attachments:
rsz_edison_2.jpg
rsz_edison_2.jpg [ 132.42 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]

Post subject: Re: Newly acquired Edison Home. Seeking info.
PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 6:27 am 

Hi. From the photo it looks as if the felt brake pad isn't touching the brass disc. Without the governor controlling the brake it will run much too fast. The gears and pinions seen in the photo look OK, I DID have one of these about 20 years ago for which I had to make, I believe, three pinions . But I failed to check the spring, and when it was fired up, the inner end of the spring let go and stripped the three newly made pinions when it caught again. I was new to gearcutting, and had used mild steel. Now I use Bright Steel which is a bit stronger... Memory is a bit rusty, but governors usually have a tube which must slide over the axle. The flat strips of spring steel which hold the governor weights are attached, one end to the shaft, and the other end to that tube. When the weights move away from the shaft owing to centrifugal force, the strips pull the tube along the shaft, and the brass disc attached to the tube is pulled harder against the felt brake pad. The brake pad's position is adjusted by the speed control lever and should be stable, staying put until someone moves the speed control knob or lever. The brass disc is pulled harder against the felt brake pad owing to the weights flying out to a bigger diameter of rotation, and thus more friction is created between the felt pad and the brass disc and the mechanism is slowed. You should check that the tube is moving freely along the inner shaft. It might need a clean and oil. Sewing machine oil is OK, and the felt brake pad will also be in need of a few drops. When you get to the more powerful part of the mechanism, moving along the power train towards the big heavy spring, you can use heavier oils. In fact graphite grease usually works better between the turns of the spring. If there's lubricant gone hard it can be cleaned with Shellite, Mobilite or whatever type of ....lite you might have in the U.S. that's an oil solvent. Don't use Kerosene as it's not usually clean enough, not refined. An old clock repairer once told me "It has dirt in it"...
When the mechanism is wound up and let go, some of the Edisons have a flat leather drive belt. if missing,or loose, or if the drum the cylinder (the recording) goes on is tight, you will need to address whichever of those problems is appropriate. If you need a belt, you look for a saddler. It would need to be joined at the ends by gluing. The join must be kept short if you want constant speed without a bump at every rotation.
If you need any more information, I DO have a Home model here someplace, and could have a better look.

Cheers,
Technomaniac.