Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 5:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rca rp 215-1 record change parts
PostPosted: Feb Tue 09, 2021 4:34 pm 

I have a RCA console, model RVCR 46 with 183a amp, 3 channel stereo amp that uses a rp 215-1 turntable. I am restoring this complete console and have the Sam's folder for everything except the changer. I am trying to find out what cartridge it takes as well as finding any parts for it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This console with tuner, preamp, reverb and amp is a 27 tube unit and I would love to see it live again.

Post subject: Re: Rca rp 215-1 record change parts
PostPosted: Feb Tue 09, 2021 7:00 pm 

The RCA RP-215, 216 models are found in Sams Photofact 545-14.

I like this changer. When restored, it cycles really smoothly.

PM me w/your email for file.

Idler wheel, motor mounts, and cartridge stylus at thevoiceofmusic.com.

Cartridge info in your Sams for the RVCR 46 in the amp parts list.

Hotwax

PostPosted: Feb Tue 09, 2021 7:35 pm 

PM sent. Thank you for the info and file. I am completely recapping and replacing resistors in this console and want to go through changer as well. I bought the console a year or two ago and am finally working on it. There used to be an amusement park and ballroom here in town and the people I bought it from say they got it from the park when it closed. The only thing that might validate that is the speaker wires had commercial connectors spliced into them. The park was here from the 30s or 40s until around 2000. Will never know if it came from there for sure but it is an interesting history.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 10, 2021 2:40 am 

Thanks for the file Hotwax. You are correct that the cartridge info is on the photo fact in the amp section. I dont know how I missed that. I will get pictures posted in next day or two. The amp has been worked on before at some point. However, they only changed electrolytics and a couple of paper caps. Also has had a few resistors changed. I am putting individual electrolytics under chassis and leaving old cans for appearance.
Last time a cap went it filled cabinet with confetti, which they left it in there. Must have been an impressive explosion from the looks of the mess. One would think with cans replaced they would have cleaned it out. Guess not.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 10, 2021 6:15 pm 

Photos

Attachments:
20210210_104153.jpg
20210210_104153.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 467 times ]
20210210_104110.jpg
20210210_104110.jpg [ 600.99 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]
20210210_103850.jpg
20210210_103850.jpg [ 786.95 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 11:27 pm 

@Glowtubes - I'm a noob to this, but I have the exact same set. It works, audio has some crackles but it sounds good. I'd like to tune it up, replace the stylus and cartridge and troubleshoot the pops & crackles. Could you point me in the right direction?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 1:51 am 

Zolapop, first I have to tell you that after a year I still have not finished this project, however I have gone through the entire amp and preamp. In the case of mine it has seen a long hard life. I have replaced all capacitors in the amp as well as most resistors. Actually, there are 6 small tube style ceramic caps that I left. I have also recapped the preamp of all caps.
If I were going to guess on popping and crackling in your stereo I would lean towards dirty or loose tube socket pins. Mine were terrible and I actually had to replace 2 of them. Also you probably need to clean the tone and volume pots as well as selecter switch terminals. You should probably replace your electrolytic caps as well. I have not replaced the cartridge yet on mine as I have yet to actually test it in use.
We moved a few months ago and the stereo had to take a back seat. I hope to power it up and test work I have performed in the next few weeks.
You say you are new to this so I assume you have little experience with tube circuitry. If so, please be aware that lethal voltages are involved here and you must understand how to protect yourself from injury or death. Please don't take offense from this, just want to be sure you know what is involved.