Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 6:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Junky ION turntable
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 6:14 am 

Here's an ION manually operated 2-speed turntable from 2006. I've seen these advertised as an entry level DJ turntable and an "archival turntable."

First, the good things about it:

1. It uses an S-shaped tonearm with removable headshell, magnetic cartridge, and adjustable counterweight and anti-skate.
2. The built-in switchable preamp sounds better than I figured it would.
3. Surprisingly, it comes up to speed within 1/4 rotation and stops pretty quickly.

Now, the bad:

1. The case and turntable platter are all plastic. The result is the turntable is very sensitive to vibration and feedback. In other words, don't put your speakers too close to it, don't turn up the volume too high, and don't walk too hard while close to it. For this reason, it would not make a good DJ turntable.
2. No cuing lever for the tonearm.
3. No variable pitch control and even the higher end model with a pitch control has no strobe. This is another reason this would not make a good DJ turntable.
4. There are some good belt-driven turntables; but, a DJ is not going to generally choose a belt-driven turntable.
5. Poorly shielded power transformer, which results in hum pick-up from the cartridge as the tonearm moves towards the center of the record.
6. No 78 rpm. I've seen the boxes that these come in and they expect you to record the record at 33 or 45, and use software to speed it up. It probably would not have taken many more parts to make this a 3-speed turntable and I'm going to attempt to convert it to 3-speed.
7. As cheaply as this is made, this thing probably would not make it through one night of a club DJ using it. Using it in a part 15 radio station to play an occasional record might be OK; but, remember.....no external vibration or it will go out over the air.
8. Even though the cartridge can be changed, you're probably better off sticking with the cheap cartridge that it came with because anything better would probably further bring out the flaws in the rest of the turntable. The cartridge on there now is a Stanton 500 for testing, because the needle is busted on the original Chuo Denshi/Sanyo "Groove Tool" cartridge.

I think Numark still offers a version of this turntable; but, with a metal platter and pitch control. However, given all it's other shortcomings, I'm not so sure how much good a metal platter would do. I believe Numark also makes a 3-speed direct drive version with a heavier base; but, I've not personally had my hands on one of those.

As far as these ION turntables, I figure most people who bought them used them long enough to digitize the box of old records that they have; but, after that, they had no more use for the turntable and that's why you see so many of them on the used market.

Attachments:
ION 003.JPG
ION 003.JPG [ 447.88 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]

Post subject: Re: Junky ION turntable
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 4:17 pm 

Such stuff, and the fake radios, probably cause many people to think that records and radios were not as good as they were. Of course, too many people impoverish themselves by working too little (or in positions which pay too little), spending too much, and buying low quality junk which does not last. We need to be happy we are not such messed-up types.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 10:15 pm 

I picked up one of these years ago at the thrift store just out of curiosity. It didn't sound as horrid as I thought it would, but yeah, it was pretty chintzy. For it's intended purpose of transferring a couple records to digital files, I imagine a non-audiophile would be satisfied with it.

As crappy as it is, t's top notch compared to Ion's low end offerings. Some of them are basically Crosley Cruisers. Maybe worse. I messed with an Ion Power Play(?) USB "turntable" that ran off of USB power. It ran right around 7% too fast, had a wobbly platter, and the recordings it made sounded like a land line telephone. I salvaged the red "Crosley cartridge" and tonearm tube for another repair project, and tossed the rest in the trash.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 5:39 pm 

8) Hello radiotvphononut what i want to talk to you about is i have a lot of cartridges and stylus you might be able to use.
My phone #618 213 6117 so we can talk

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 5:45 pm 

Hello radiotvphononut
I forgot to give you my email televisiontech79@gmail.com
hope you will respond.
George Kirk
Time Radio Restorations
8602 Old Bunkum Road Caseyville Illinois

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 7:44 pm 

I dug out the ION and a Numark that is a little better, in that it uses a metal platter and pitch slider. Both need belts and needles. I was just before ordering two belts; but, the final figure of $42.80 for two belts kept sending up red flags, and we haven't even gotten to the needles yet. I could just see me spending money on this junk, only to list them on Facebook Marketplace and they'd just sit there because everybody expects to get something in perfect condition for $5 or $10. So, these may just get dropped off at the thrift store and they can become somebody else's problem.

Attachments:
turntables 001.JPG
turntables 001.JPG [ 364.82 KiB | Viewed 153 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 07, 2021 8:52 pm 

radiotvnut wrote:
So, these may just get dropped off at the thrift store and they can become somebody else's problem.

Good plan. I wouldn't waste any money on either of them.