Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 7:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Restored 45-EY-2: cam has stopped engaging
PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 3:43 pm 

I have a 45-EY-2 that I disassembled and restored based on a series of Youtube videos I found. It worked flawlessly for about a year (I didn't use it a lot during that year) and then stopped cycling. I'm finally trying to get it working again. Looking inside, I can see that the cam is not engaging with the knurled knob enough to turn it. As part of the restoration, I had removed the old, original rubber on that cam and installed a new one. I can hear the knob rubbing rubbing against the cam's rubber ring - hopefully it hasn't worn down that piece of the rubber so much that I need to replace it again. Anyway, I have read that you can adjust the stop-dog to bring the cam closer in to the knurled knob, but I haven't yet found steps required to do so. I can see the 'tab' that indicates the movement of the arm associated with cycling, and there's a screw right next to it that I believe is associated. Do I just keep turning that screw in one direction until the tab appears closer to one side, or do I loosen that screw, reposition the arm, and then tighten it again? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Restored 45-EY-2: cam has stopped engaging
PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 2:09 am 

Did you send the cam out to be rebuilt or did you do it yourself? If you did it yourself, what did you do?

Who's that swimming in the punch bowl?
It's Walter Wart, the freaky frog!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 1:11 pm 

I did it myself. I removed the old rubber from the cam, used adhesive to attach the new one, and cut a notch in the rubber according to a template that came with it. Worked great for about a year, and now just rubs against the knob without engaging.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 1:19 pm 

there's two screws on the lever underneath the tonearm, this the lever with silver trip lever. One adjust set down, one adjust the silver trip lever. If this doesn't fix it, you'll need to adjust the slides horizontal position. Loosen both screw that hold the slide mechanism's mount in place, just enough to be able to move the mount but it should still be stiff. After that it's trial and error. If that doesn't work, send the cam off to Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com to be rebuilt properly.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 07, 2021 1:30 pm 

I’ll give that a shot tonight and let you know how it goes - many thanks!